Lingonberry from IKEA syrup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast is recommended for lingonberry?

I used my standard - Lalvin EC-1118. It's tolerant of poor starting conditions, runs like a horse and, when you need it, goes to about 18% ABV (not that I recommend that for fruit wines, mind you).

I got the SG down to 0.998. Here's the dump from my database:

Varietal: Lingonberry
Batch Size: 1 Gal/3.8 L Jug (5 bottles)
Date Started: Aug 28, 2013 12:30 PM
Cost of ingredients: $13.47

3 500ml bottles of Saft Lingon (lingonberry syrup)
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin
water to fill a 160oz jug
1 pkg bentonite
1 pkg Lalvin EC-1118 champagne wine yeast

Pour the 1.5L of syrup into an oversized gallon jug (160oz). Rinse each bottle to get all the syrup, adding the rinse water to the jug.

At this point, add the yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, tannin powder and bentonite. Shake very well to blend all the ingredients. Next, top up the jug with water, leaving a little head room for expansion/foam. Add the yeast, then fit a clean airlock.

Ferment to dry, rack off the lees into a 1 gallon jug (if there are few lees you may need another 160oz jug, otherwise put the rest into a suitable container and treat accordingly), stabilize and add finings. Allow to clear, rack if needed (top up with any extra you may have had), filter and bottle. Don't forget to also filter any extra from the fridge.

Caveat: I made this recipe up on the spot -- but it worked well!

Final ABV level: 11.6%

Initial Chemistry:
SG: 1.085 TA: n/a % pH: n/a SO2: n/a ppm

Events
Code:
[U]Date                   Event       Value   Details/Observations                              [/U]
Aug 28, 2013 12:30 PM  Start		
Aug 28, 2013 6:36 PM   Note                Fermentation has started already
Aug 31, 2013 10:36 AM  SG Reading  1.024   Looks happy
Sep 3, 2013 2:37 PM    SG Reading  1.004   Going great!
Sep 7, 2013 10:42 AM   SG Reading  1.000   Slow and steady
Sep 8, 2013 1:30 PM    Racked              Still a nice color!!
Sep 10, 2013 2:14 PM   SG Reading  0.998   Done!
Sep 10, 2013 2:14 PM   Racked              Racked to 1 gal clear jug
Sep 10, 2013 2:15 PM   Stabilized          Kmeta and sorbate
Sep 10, 2013 2:15 PM   Clarified           Used some leftover Kieselsol and Chitosan from a kit wine

SG-Batch-33.jpg

The swedish half of me is dying to get at least a gallon of this under way. But this also makes me curious of the other saft Ikea sells, the elderberry saft...

Thanks SGX2. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I was at ikea today and saw the lingonberry and remembered seeing this post. The bottles here cost $4.99 a bottle so it'll cost me a little more ;)

Thanks SGX2. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I was at ikea today and saw the lingonberry and remembered seeing this post. The bottles here cost $4.99 a bottle so it'll cost me a little more ;)

:h
Don't forget that I needed a 160oz jug to use three bottles, which is 32oz larger than a standard gallon jug.

If you use two bottles it will be cheaper -- running the numbers by fermcalc suggests you'll need to add just under 7 cups of water and 0.58 lbs of sugar to bring the SG to 1.085 and liquid level to 128 oz (1 gal). The taste and colour will be slightly lighter with this variant...

Either way, if you have an acid test kit PLEASE DO TEST IT and, if possible, report what you find to us all -- thanks!!

:h
Don't forget that I needed a 160oz jug to use three bottles, which is 32oz larger than a standard gallon jug.

If you use two bottles it will be cheaper -- running the numbers by fermcalc suggests you'll need to add just under 7 cups of water and 0.58 lbs of sugar to bring the SG to 1.085 and liquid level to 128 oz (1 gal). The taste and colour will be slightly lighter with this variant...

Either way, if you have an acid test kit PLEASE DO TEST IT and, if possible, report what you find to us all -- thanks!!

Thank You

I'll start it this week . I'll test both acid and PH and will post results here.

well I finally got my yeast pitched today. Yesterday I put the lingonberry juice,water,pectic enzyme and 1/3 the nutrient into primary.(note I didn't add tannin yet) My readings were as follows:
SG 1.086 PH 2.60 TA 5 g/L
You'll see that the SG was good with no additional sugar added, but the PH and acid levels were both pretty low. So here's what I did per Gal. 1st I added a tsp. acid blend, then I added a tsp. Calcium Carbonate.I know that they both act against the other but because both readings were low I figured I'd try to bring them both up a bit. I then threw in 1/2 c grape concentrate and 1 lb chopped dark raisons.I let it all sit overnight and took the readings this morning. SG was really high- at 1.114 so I added 1 1/2 liters water. SG 1.098 still a little high but I don't want to water down too much. PH 3.22 a little lower than I like but better than it was. TA 6.5 a little low as well but better and I don't want to add anymore acid blend as it would probably bring down my PH. So accepting these readings I then added only 1/2 tsp. of tannin and pitched my yeast.

How much water did you add with the syrup?

I still have quite a bit of haze, so I added a teaspoon of pectic enzyme and a teaspoon of amylase enzyme to my 1 gallon batch to see if that would help clear it…

I started with 7 pints and then added more 2 1/2 pints more today.I think tomorrow I'll add some bentonite

Wow! The concentration of your syrup must have been quite different -- I assume you started with the 500 ml (16.9oz) jars. If you used 3 of them I would have expected you would have needed only 5 pints to hit 1.085. Hmm. 4 of them would need 7 pints, but make 1.4 gal of total liquid....

I did use the 500 ml jars.It was actually 2 1/2 jars I used (I made a 2 gal batch )using 5 jars total.So the numbers above are 1/2 of what I used total. I thought it would be easier if I showed per gal.Sorry for confusion

I have recently noticed lingonberries in the canned fruit (not jam/jelly) section at WalMart. Glass jar, cannot recall brand. I bought one for under $3, made crepes and granola yogurt parfaits. I would definitely use that tasty stuff to make a gallon batch, but I need to check the ingredient label again.... no IKEA anywhere near me. :-( I do remember in my research that lingonberries are loaded with pectin.

saramc said:
I have recently noticed lingonberries in the canned fruit (not jam/jelly) section at WalMart. Glass jar, cannot recall brand. I bought one for under $3, made crepes and granola yogurt parfaits. I would definitely use that tasty stuff to make a gallon batch, but I need to check the ingredient label again.... no IKEA anywhere near me. :-( I do remember in my research that lingonberries are loaded with pectin.

You're right - they are reported to be high in pectin. This might explain my persistent post-fermentation haze. Time to dose with more pectic enzyme!!

It does smell good.Thanks sgx2 for sharing. I think it'll make a great tasting wine.Very slow at fermenting though. I would give the canned kind a try Sara.

:h Glad to hear you're enjoying your batch :h
BTW, I added about 2 tsp of pectic enzyme to my gallon by putting the powder into a new 1 gallon jug, then racking onto it. There was enough headroom that I decided to cap and shake the jug, which served the dual purpose of fully dissolving the pectinase and degassing quite nicely. I opened the cap a bit to let out excess gas, hopefully purging any remaining oxygen.

Latest posts

Back