Limoncello Using Sorrento Lemons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
I make limoncello every year. But a few years ago, I rodered a Sorrento Lemon tree (Femminello Santa Teresa). The tree is stillsmall (under 4 feet), but producing some lemons. These are the ones I just picked. Three pounds, so will use the zest of those with 1125ML of 190 proof Everclear. So, a month from now -- limoncello.

I usually use 750ML Everclear with the zest from 2 pound of lemons and the syrup would be 4 cups sugar and 6 cups water. But, since I have 3 pounds of the Sorrento lemons, I will increase everything by 50%.

1125ML of the lemon-infused Everclear
6 cups of sugar
9 cups of water

IMG_2854 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Got the peels steeping in the Everclear, which is already turning yellow.

IMG_2856.JPG

Wait.. is there a reason why different amounts should be used depending on the lemon (Sorrento vs Meyer vs whatever)? And when you say increase, are you talking about the amount of SS or the ratio of sugar to water?

Thanks!

Sorrento lemons are typically a lot larger than other types. So you would need more smaller lemons to make 2 pounds. Smalle lemons = less surface area.

I would adjust the sugar/water ratio based on whether I am using 190 proof Everclear, 151 proof Everclear, or 100 proof vodka

Last edited:
I used a micro zester to make sure I only get the yellow part of the skin. The lemons are off my daughter's tree, they look the same as yours? I put in 120 proof everclear for 6 weeks, filter. I then make a 1:1 simple syrup and blend 50:50 with the everclear, making the end result a pretty sweet, but not syrupy sweet 30% abv limoncello that will not freeze in the freezer. As I mentioned in the other thread, I ended up using 80 lemons for 3.5 liters of everclear and it is very lemony, but heck, can you ever have too much flavor?
limon.jpg

120 proof? Thought you had said 160 in the other thread. Yeah, would definitely need a lot of lemons for 120 proof.

The skin on those lemons is a lot smoother than the Sorrento lemons

120 proof? Thought you had said 160 in the other thread. Yeah, would definitely need a lot of lemons for 120 proof.

The skin on those lemons is a lot smoother than the Sorrento lemons
I may have said 160 proof, I had to go back and check before I did my dilution and sweetening. CA has some law about not being able to sell some ethyl alcohol products greater than 60% abv, so I did in fact use 120 proof everclear.

OMG. I've been to Sorrento and saw these lemon trees on my way to the Amalfi Coast, some of the lemons are huge like grapefruit. The limoncello produced in Italy is just amazing . . . Congrats to you on this.

You're right, Amalfi lemons are huge, but the peel is very thick and the pith not quite as bitter as a usual lemon. The lady we watched making some just tossed the flesh into the rubbish bin. Seeing how easy it was, I've made it every year since. Very nice too, but not as nice as she made.

Two weeks with the peelings in the Everclear. The peels have lost almost all their color, which means the oils have been mostly extracted. Will wait one more week, then turn it into limoncello

thumbnail_IMG_2957.jpg

OK, after 2 1/2 weeks, all of the color (and flavor) is out of the lemon peels, so time to make the limoncello

IMG_2961.JPG

3 1/2 cups sugar and 5 1/2 cups water for each 750ML makes limoncello that is about 57 proof. I had used 1125ML of Everclear, so adjusted the syrup ingredients. Ened up with four 750ML bottles and one 375ML bottle of limoncello.

IMG_2962.JPG

I really like the way you use weight rather than counting them, a lot more accurate with consistent results. That's what I'll be doing from now on. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back