Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you obtain/determine the "template"?............................Dizzy
The template was downloaded off of Avery for Word. It's pretty useless and doesn't fit the labels exactly, at least not with my printer (HP ENVY Photo). Tweaked it a bit. I make the designs in Publisher, save as some graphic file or PDF, copy and paste into the Word template. The labels are 4x3.33". Get 6 to a page.

Making limoncello and limecello with 80 proof vodka produces a clear liquid -- colored yellow or light green, but clear. At the recommendations here, I made limecello with 151 EC ... and it's cloudy-looking, even after filtering through a coffee filter, like @Bliorg's 3rd picture a few posts above.

The 151 EC certainly extracts more color and flavor -- it wouldn't work otherwise, as it has to be diluted so much. I'm wondering what else it extracts that makes the result cloudy.

Any suggestions on what to do with all the lemons? I'd hate to waste them.
I juice the lemon or limes and put in a bottle in the fridge.

3/4 cup juice, 1/4 cup sugar, and fill with water to 2 quarts makes a good lemonade. Might be a bit tart for some tastes, so up the sugar as desired.

Making limoncello and limecello with 80 proof vodka produces a clear liquid -- colored yellow or light green, but clear. At the recommendations here, I made limecello with 151 EC ... and it's cloudy-looking, even after filtering through a coffee filter, like @Bliorg's 3rd picture a few posts above.

The 151 EC certainly extracts more color and flavor -- it wouldn't work otherwise, as it has to be diluted so much. I'm wondering what else it extracts that makes the result cloudy.

Did you miss the discussion about the ouzo effect? See post #171 in this thread:

In a different thread, @stickman correctly identified the source of the cloudiness, which is inherent to the product. (See quotes below.) I believe this argues that you do not WANT to filter it with coffee filters. Doing so would probably remove some of the goodness you worked so hard to get into your 'cello.

Did you miss the discussion about the ouzo effect?
It appears I did!

;)

I'm going to experiment with bentonite next time I make a batch, and not filter.

EC 151 will be used again. With the limecello I had a bright, vibrant green for the first week, and I put the jug down stairs and didn't check it again for 2 or 3 weeks. At that time, the color faded to a really dark, ugly green. When I diluted it, the color improved, but I'm going to pay close attention to the next one to strain it before the color changes.

My lemon cello recipe is one quart of cheap vodka, peel as thin as possible 10 lemons, keeping the wide strips of peel as whole as possible, never chopping it up; let it marinate for two weeks, then heat one cup of sugar w one cup of water; when cool, add to vodka, let marinate ten days, strain, and put in the freezer. Keep a small flask in the refrigerator for “emergencies.”

Love Lemoncello. Let me share my hack for peeling the zest very quickly although can be slightly messy.
I use a table mounted apple peeler. The juice of the lemon will run down the table but its so fast I won't even consider using a knife or hand zester any longer. Super easy, just turn the crank. You will have to play around with the adjustment on the knife part but once you get it set its smooth sailing.
If you do it just right you can nearly peel the entire zest in one long thin strip.
Salute!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1522501898422.jpg
    FB_IMG_1522501898422.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190727_093859.jpg
    20190727_093859.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 20190727_100840.jpg
    20190727_100840.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
I made a limoncello long time ago and been sitting in the fridge forever because it came out very strong, rocket fuel probably.
How can I "water" it down a bit....lol

I made a limoncello long time ago and been sitting in the fridge forever because it came out very strong, rocket fuel probably.
How can I "water" it down a bit....lol

What proof spirits did you use? You can always cut the proof with water. You really don't want the alcohol to be more than about 80 proof (40% ABV)

Latest posts

Back