Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could get that deep yellow color...mine is pale but clearer. Taste is good...but I like that deep yellow color.

I saw this recipe and thought I might try it. After reading this thread, I am thinking, how in the world could this recipe taste like lemons.

gizmodo.com/how-to-make-the-best-limoncello-youve-ever-had-1533528095

I think on my first try, I will go with Giiatas recipe.

Starting a 1 1/2 gallon test batch of lemon/limecello. I used the zest of 25 limes, 15 lemons and 1.75 liters of 195 proof Everclear.

Attachments

• 20180208_112630.jpg
    20180208_112630.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20180208_101822.jpg
    20180208_101822.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 27
This is a bit on a tangent, but somewhat related. I recently made a batch of Moscato and reached the desired flavor and sweetness without using the entire F-pac. I hate to waste anything so I mixed the residual of the F-pac with a little simple syrup and nearly an equal volume of plain vodka. The end result is quite delicious, especially over a couple ice cubes. I know now what to do with unused F-pacs.

This is a bit on a tangent, but somewhat related. I recently made a batch of Moscato and reached the desired flavor and sweetness without using the entire F-pac. I hate to waste anything so I mixed the residual of the F-pac with a little simple syrup and nearly an equal volume of plain vodka. The end result is quite delicious, especially over a couple ice cubes. I know now what to do with unused F-pacs.

I have used the left over Fpacs to flavor Tea Wine....had a Wildberry batch and a Peach Apricot batch. Waste not want not!

I have used the left over Fpacs to flavor Tea Wine....had a Wildberry batch and a Peach Apricot batch. Waste not want not!
Starting a 1 1/2 gallon test batch of lemon/limecello. I used the zest of 25 limes, 15 lemons and 1.75 liters of 195 proof Everclear.
Can someone tell me exactly where i can buy Everclear near Pittsbugh, Pa.

Im excited to make some limoncello, thank you for posting this! I havent yet read the entire thread but I have a lot of orange trees on my property that are ripening and I want to make use of them somehow... has anyone made the using orange and if so how does it come out? And compared to limoncello? Thanks for the input!

I made orange. Personally I didn't care for it. It tasted like spiked orange juice to me. I also made lime. For me, lemons are the way to go. That's the traditional Italian way...
Im excited to make some limoncello, thank you for posting this! I havent yet read the entire thread but I have a lot of orange trees on my property that are ripening and I want to make use of them somehow... has anyone made the using orange and if so how does it come out? And compared to limoncello? Thanks for the input!

I've made quite a bit of Limonchello over the years and have some general comments to offer:

1-Always use Everclear. It works way better than vodka at extracting the flavor compounds from the peels. I use a 45 day soak on the peels, have gone longer. THere are several forms of Everclear depending on your state laws. The max alcohol percentage in the PRK is 77%.

2-Use more fruit than the recipe calls for. If it calls for 20 lemons, use 30.

3-Meyer lemons (mentioned earlier in this thread) make only fair limonchello. This is sad to me because our Meyer tree makes hundreds of pounds of lemons every year. But Eureka Lemons have a better tart/fruit/sweet balance and make better Limoncello. This is not a big deal because unless you live in California, there are not many Meyers out there.

4-Most recipes have you use a 50/50 simple syrup to sweeten-that's much too sweet (in my opinion, yours may vary). I use a 2 : 5 ratio, sugar to water ratio and much prefer that.

5-Grapefruit makes the best 'cello. As in it's great. We get excess grapefruits off our tree and use them up making this. It's so good, we have to hide it from one of our good friends who has been known to polish off an entire bottle at one sitting (and paid the price the next day). And grapefruit harvest is now so starting more next week.

There's a great website out there with calculators to get alcohol and sugar percentages right:
https://limoncelloquest.com/limoncello-calculators/limoncello-alcohol-percentage-calculator

Last edited:
Have any of you guys added the lemon juice like this guy? BTW, what are you guys doing with the skinless lemons?

Have any of you guys added the lemon juice like this guy? BTW, what are you guys doing with the skinless lemons?

I've never seen a recipe that calls for the juice - or honey for that matter. I'm tempted to try it with the juice just for fun. But I think the honey would alter the flavor.

I've never seen a recipe that calls for the juice - or honey for that matter. I'm tempted to try it with the juice just for fun. But I think the honey would alter the flavor.
Adding the juice is an interesting thought, I may try that next time. The honey, I'm with you would really already the flavor. This certain would be much higher alcohol than the one I make.

What too do with the peeled lemons, if you don't add that juice? I made Skeeter pee with the juice one time, other times I have frozen the lemons and used the juice cooking later.

I drop the naked lemons in a juicer. The result is milky looking due to pith. I add bentonite, put it in the fridge for a week, and pour off the clear(er) liquid. It's still on the milky side but most of the sediment is gone.

I drop the naked lemons in a juicer. The result is milky looking due to pith. I add bentonite, put it in the fridge for a week, and pour off the clear(er) liquid. It's still on the milky side but most of the sediment is gone.

Any bitterness from the pith?

I viewed the digest email from yesterday and this caught my attention:

Limoncello, take 2 ( 3 New Posts Yesterday )
I drop the naked lemons in a juicer. The result is milky looking due to pith. I add bentonite, put i...

My first thought was, "I bet that line is making people scratch their heads!"

:p

Can someone tell me exactly where i can buy Everclear near Pittsbugh, Pa.

Al, I have not lived in Pittsburgh for more than 40 years but they used to sell it in the State Stores under names like "Golden Grain" or something like than. I believe it was 180 or 190 proof. Have you tried a State Store?

Latest posts

Back