Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know that I reported back on my Orangecello. It turned out awesome and more to my palate's liking. The Limoncello was very good but had that slight sourness from the lemons I didn't care for. Don't get me wrong, it is good, I just prefer the orange out of the two.
I will definitely be making both in the future as those I have gifted it to very much like it.................of course it could be because it was free. :)

Don't know that I reported back on my Orangecello. It turned out awesome and more to my palate's liking. The Limoncello was very good but had that slight sourness from the lemons I didn't care for. Don't get me wrong, it is good, I just prefer the orange out of the two.
I will definitely be making both in the future as those I have gifted it to very much like it.................of course it could be because it was free. :)

I have a feeling that going to be the case with me. I will probably like the orange over the lemon. (i made one of each) About 2 weeks ago i did part 2 of my recipe and added simple syrup and other bottle of vodka. The orange smelled awesome! I also used 100 proof Smirnoff for my second addition. Im about at day 50-55 so July should be drinking it!

Oh, i also made a limoncello recipe i found on line from Giada De Laurentiis, from food network. Her recipe takes only 4 days! I found it very hard to believe a 4 day turnaround. I used Grey Goose vodka and actually let it go for about a week and half. Well im not real thrilled with it at all, but i figure it will do until my other batch is ready. Here is the link to that recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/limoncello-recipe-1916618

I should try to make a batch with vodka as it may smooth out the lemon "sourness". I just don't want the low ABV associated with the vodka.
I believe part of the lemon problem for me is the sourness coupled with the heat from the Everclear.
As mentioned, it is very good, I just prefer the orange over it.

Regardless, thanks again to @kraffty for providing his recipe and experience.

Thanks D.J. I made a batch of the orange too as I has a little Everclear left from my last gallon batch of limoncello. I think that the Meyer Lemons really make it a smoother drink than the standard lemons. I poured a little of the orancello over vanilla ice cream and stirred it up a little bit and it tastes like the old 50/50 ice cream bar I used to love as a kid, you have to give that one a shot. I also added a 750ml bottle of a vodka limoncello (a lot less color and flavor intensity) to a sauvignon blanc kit I started about a month ago, it's added a really nice citrus flavor already, a tiny touch of sweetness and has already cleared but probably needs 6 months to really blend nicely. By the way I diluted both the vodka and ever clear versions down to 30% abv. I just end up with a smaller yield if using vodka.
Mike

limoncello.jpg

Dam! With all this cello talk i just went in the frige and had a shot of the limoncello from the recipe i was talking about that took a week. Much better! Been sitting about a month since last tried it! Someone did mention to let is sit a while and it should get better.

Finally finished it! Liquid sunshine!!

Why is yours a darker yellow color?

Here is what mine and most other limencello ive seen looks like.

Others pics ive seen here are that darker yellow too....

image1 (22).JPG

Last edited:
Why is yours a darker yellow color?

Here is what mine and most other limencello ive seen looks like.

Others pics ive seen here are that darker yellow too....

Mine looked exactly like yours until I added the simple syrup (which was also crystal clear). The minute I added that, it clouded up. I have no idea why it happens, but it always does. My simple syrup hadn't cooled completely - was still around 90F. Would that have something to do with it?

Mine looked exactly like yours until I added the simple syrup (which was also crystal clear). The minute I added that, it clouded up. I have no idea why it happens, but it always does. My simple syrup hadn't cooled completely - was still around 90F. Would that have something to do with it?

Not sure. But i made sure my simple syrup was totally cool before i added it. You know what i did... I took the pot i made the simple syrup in and sit it in ice water in the sink and stirred it. Helped it cool much faster....

Also , i was just googling limoncello pics and believe it or not but half of them are dark like yours and others are more clear like mine.... With all this talk i just had a shot...lol

1 double batch of limoncello made with Eurekas and a double batch using Meyers. I split the batches and blended half of each together. The blend is my favorite! So smooth and a really nice flavor.

Limoncello bottling day. 3 gallons of Italian goodness bottled and ready to drink. Saluti!!!

20170902_111220.jpg

When Mom and Dad temporarily moved in about two weeks ago, a half bottle of commercial limoncello came with them. I'm sipping some now. The homemade stuff is sooooo much better. Smoother, more 'natural' tasting - just much better overall.

Limoncello bottling day. 3 gallons of Italian goodness bottled and ready to drink. Saluti!!!

Fantastic quantity of Limoncello there! I just recently completed three versions of Limoncello

- Version using Everclear and lemon zest
- Version using 4 dehydrated lemon slices and vodka
- Version using 10 dehydrated lemon slices and vodka

Interesting to hear the feedback so far as it is evenly split. The Everclear version appears to be more traditional and stronger in flavor and ABV. The vodka versions are clearer in color and lighter in flavor but still with a significant lemon flavor.

I also finished a batch of "crabberry-cello" that is amazing. Cranberries with zest of lemon and grapefruit. Few weeks later added zest of lime. This is flying out of my cellar but hoping to retain at least one bottle for Thanksgiving.

Darn... Saw this thread yesterday and bought lemons today.... Thanks for making me do one more drinkable concoction :dg. I enjoy a good Limoncello!

Started the infusion using 8 Myers Lemons with 400ml Everclear (need the rest to fortify a port that is clearing. Struggled to zest them as my veg peeler was duller than my fingers. Had to use a knife! Won’t do that again.

Really appreciate the recipe and hope it’s good!

I saw this two days ago. Walked into Trader Joe’s yesterday and saw bags on Meyer lemons. Figured it was a sign so I went to Binny’s in the same plaza and bought some Everclear. Got it going as soon as I got home. Saw yellow color within minutes! Looking forward to final product.

Trader Joe’s has a limoncello for $7.99 for 375ml. We really like that, so hoping this is as good. IMG_8098.jpg

So it’s been a week. Strained the extract through a coffee filter.
IMG_8114.jpg

All dumped in.
IMG_8115.jpg

Started with 750 ml and ended with 750 ml.
IMG_8118.jpg

Crystal clear.
IMG_8119.jpg

Made the simple syrup, cooled it and added it to the extract. 2:1 syrup to extract. I didn’t have any clear bottles, but I did have some 500 ml Grolsch swing tops. Ended up with 4 bottles and about 250 ml in a Mason jar.
IMG_8123.jpg

Chilled a small glass to sample and it’s pretty good. Seems a little hot, and the lemon on the aftertaste is strong too. (I used 12 Meyer lemons.) Anxious to see how it is after a few months of aging. Like it enough that I will soon be starting 1.5L of it and maybe 750ml of orange. Any suggestions for what type of oranges to use?

Latest posts

Back