Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either this week or next I am going to try Mike's recipe using oranges and 1 vanilla bean. Kind of a orangesicle-cello. Picked up the oranges and Everclear last night.

See what you started Mike. :)

Let it mellow for a few weeks, then throw it in the freezer. With warmer weather approaching, its the perfect accompaniment for an evening on the deck.

yep, that's the plan, it is very strong and very sweet...!! :h

Did you follow Mike's recipe or go at it differently?

Bottles look good.

Somewhat, just changed the ratio a bit but for the most part yes. I think I ended up using about less than a glass jar of simple syrup.

Well, here we go with the "orange-creamsicle-cello". 12 oranges, 750ml Everclear, 1/2 split vanilla bean.

Resized_20170424_194942.jpeg

@wineforfun that sounds really good. I understand in italy they do a version of limoncello cocktail with cream mixed in.
Mike

Well, I will most definitely keep you posted. I hadn't thought about the vanilla bean addition until running across an article on the interweb.
It is a lot of work peeling and de-pithing all the fruit, as you well know.

Pretty much just sticking to your limoncello recipe, as far as quantities, simple syrup ratios, etc. It has a very deep orange color already after two days. I think that Everclear really extracts things. Makes me wonder what it is "extracting" from our insides when drinking. :)

I was checking my rather small batch of limoncello yesterday and is a bit "goopy" or syrup-like when I put the bottle upside down and vice versa. I know I didn't add too much simple syrup but maybe I did..the alcohol smell and taste is a bit strong...:ft

There is another way,in a ball jar place the zest only of 6 to 8. Lemon's add ever kleer to fill the ball jar,let it sit for a month,have at the ready simple syrup,and everkleer,add the zest and contents of the ball jar to a medium size pot,the add the balance of syrup to everkleer to taste,now you made it to your taste ,this Never failes.

I was just turned on to some homemade limoncello, however it was made with orange, orangecello. It was awesome! They make theirs with Vodka and swear by it, and i have to agree with how good it was! They told me to use a mid-grade vodka such as Smirnoff because its a waste to use a higher end vodka because the taste will not matter. I was thinking if you use a higher end vodka, such as grey goose, it could only be better. They gave me the recipe and i will be starting a batch soon.

Anyone else use vodka instead of the grain alcohol??

Yes, vodka is softer then ever kleer to us it's a ma5ter of preference, nothing more.

I was checking my rather small batch of limoncello yesterday and is a bit "goopy" or syrup-like when I put the bottle upside down and vice versa. I know I didn't add too much simple syrup but maybe I did..the alcohol smell and taste is a bit strong...:ft

Guessing maybe your ratios are off somewhat then. Mine turned out spot on doing it as Mike has written on page 1, second try.

Resized_20170426_184838.jpeg

How the heck do you not know what you used in your own recipe? You just dont want to give up your secret! LOL.. :ft Or maybe its a low grade vodka? lol... Il probably go to binnys today for my batch... i was just trying to get other input as to using lower grade vs higher grade vodka...

I was just turned on to some homemade limoncello, however it was made with orange, orangecello. It was awesome! They make theirs with Vodka and swear by it, and i have to agree with how good it was! They told me to use a mid-grade vodka such as Smirnoff because its a waste to use a higher end vodka because the taste will not matter. I was thinking if you use a higher end vodka, such as grey goose, it could only be better. They gave me the recipe and i will be starting a batch soon.

Anyone else use vodka instead of the grain alcohol??

No, both of mine are with Everclear. I see a lot of the DIY recipes out there use vodka. There are also a few with Everclear. I went with Everclear on mine since Mike had already done the "leg work" with the two. Since I have never had any "cellos" (pretty sweet drink for my liking),I went with his experience and the Everclear.

As far as what vodka to use, I stick to the adage, garbage in, garbage out. Now I wouldn't be buying Grey Goose, but I wouldn't be using $5 750ml vodka either.

My other issue using vodka, outside of Mike's recommendation, was with 50% (100 proof) vodka, in the end your finished product will only be approximately 16%+ ABV. I wanted something higher.

I may do a batch with vodka to compare. For now, I am done as I will have plenty. I don't drink much of it, mostly gift it. And, it takes quite a bit of time to peel and de-pith all that fruit.

Last edited:
Well, the vodka used in my friends batch that i liked was smirnoff, and like i said i liked it very much.. and i did catch a buzz after a few..lol, so maybe i will go with that, i think smirnoff is midgrade, right? I drink Grey goose at home when i make martinis and other drinks...

Latest posts

Back