Limoncello, take 2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1-Always use Everclear. It works way better than vodka at extracting the flavor compounds from the peels. I use a 45 day soak on the peels, have gone longer.
Does Everclear produce a real benefit?

I had bottles of limoncello base (strained and filtered) that I had not mixed yet. Today I made sugar syrup for a different reason, and made up bottles of limoncello to use it up. I used a 1:1 sugar syrup and mixed it 3:1 limoncello base/syrup. I started with 80 proof vodka, so simple math indicates my final result is around 60 proof.

If I use 180 proof Everclear and I get better extraction, is this going to matter? I will have to dilute the limoncello base a LOT more to get the proof down to something I want to drink. Will this negate any additional benefit I get from better extraction?

My thought is to double or triple the amount of lemon zest used.

Im going to head to a few stores today looking for Everclear here in CA... not entirely sure what the laws are but online sources are only selling 120 proof (60%) versions in California. If thats all that is available for me at local stores I have found another option. Do a search on Amazon for "culinary solvent" and you'll find several options available. Prices are comparable, just need to find sellers that will ship for free.

I bring bottles of the 190 proof Everclear to my brother and brother-in-law in southern California because they can't get it there. It is available here in Arizona.

Yes, you have to dilute it more to get it to a sippable ABV level. But the extraction is so much better and so much faster, too. Instead of taking months, you can get full extraction in around 2 weeks, maybe even less.

the vodka was just a WHAT IF. Like the everkleer best if you have seem my thread making an extract it's very clear ,,EVERKLEER:dg

Yeah, I understand that. I was acually responding to winemaker81's post above, asking if it really made any difference using high ABV Everclear.

And it does,yet have you ever tried infused vodka with lemon or tangerine zest it takes on a different note as Strong but nice on the plate.just a thought.

No, I just don't like vodka at all. It just has a taste I can't stomach. Probably dating from an incident during my teen years.

No problem , it's just another way to create flavor.
I know all of you have seen the flavored vodka and gin products yet alone beer.
I fusion the name of the game.or as I put it Thinking Outside the Box.

Bottled mine a few days ago, diluted down to somewhere between 28% and 30% ABV. Started out as 225ml of 190proof everclear, steeped in the peels for 3 weeks.
94257248_10219230082934136_8549667246375436288_n.jpg

Just bottled today. All Eureka lemons, 47 day soak/extraction, diluted down to 30% ABV. Will taste tonight once cold.

Grapefruit will be next!

View attachment 60359
Enjoying my first batch of Limoncello using Everclear that was soaked for 25 days. Also have the grapefruit soaking for 27 days and looks like it going to take longer. How long did you soak your grapefruit? Thanks

Enjoying my first batch of Limoncello using Everclear that was soaked for 25 days. Also have the grapefruit soaking for 27 days and looks like it going to take longer. How long did you soak your grapefruit? Thanks

Grapefruit in the past has been about the same time frame-ie around 6 weeks. Mine is at day 30 right now, so in another 2 weeks, it will be time to bottle.

anyone drinks limoncello cold or just room temp?
Mine goes in the freezer. Now that I know it takes 6 weeks for the grapefruit, I picked up another big jar, oranges and two 1.75 ltrs of EverClear. They were on sale for $22.99, so picked up another one for another limoncello later. Gave a bottle to each of my 2 kids and their spouses, so it goes very fast. Hope they don't like it TOO much.

Last edited:
Back