Limoncello, Everclear / Vodka Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsa46

Reaction score
Although I've made Limoncello many times with excellent results using 80 proof vodka, I would like to improve the seeping time using Everclear. My zest never turns white with the vodka like I've seen when using Everclear but I still get the flavor.

What I would like to do is use a limited amount of Everclear to seep my lemon zest and after seeping add the 80 proof vodka.

I want to keep the Everclear to a minimum, but my question is.....can I mix Everclear with the vodka ?

Sure you can, but I don't know why you would??? Using Everclear is the traditional, old world way of making of Limoncello.

I use Vodka, actually just bought four 1.75 Liter bottles of it from Costco last weekend, going to get 4 bags of lemons next weekend and start it up. It sure seems to leacha all the yellow from the zest I put in. Not sure why it wouldn't. I leave it for the traditional 40 days and 40 nights. EverKleer (for my tastes) is a bit harsh, even with the sugar added.

Sounds like an interesting idea, maybe one bottle of the EC for the extraction and dilute with the vodka before sweetening and taking down to 30% or so with water. Look forward to hearing how it works out.
Mike

I put the Everclear through a brita filter a couple of times. That takes the harsh taste out. The California Everclear is not that strong-I think 77% Alcohol. There is some goofy state law that says it can't be stronger.

I wounder where the 40 days came from. I have always used 45, but I don't know why.

I use Vodka, actually just bought four 1.75 Liter bottles of it from Costco last weekend, going to get 4 bags of lemons next weekend and start it up. It sure seems to leacha all the yellow from the zest I put in. Not sure why it wouldn't. I leave it for the traditional 40 days and 40 nights. EverKleer (for my tastes) is a bit harsh, even with the sugar added.

So you're using one bag of lemons to 1.75 Liter of Vodka. How many lemons are in the bag and how many pounds per bag ?

I not leaving in for the 40 days so that might be the problem. I still get plenty of flavor but longer will be even better. I have a batch going now and will leave it in that long and see how it goes. If it goes the way you said I won't use the Everclear.

Also, I like the way you think, a larger volume is definitely the way to go .

Last edited:
Sure you can, but I don't know why you would??? Using Everclear is the traditional, old world way of making of Limoncello.

I'm not a fan of using straight Everclear, to harsh for me and my friends. We like the smoothness of using Vodka compared to the Everclear..

I wounder where the 40 days came from. I have always used 45, but I don't know why.

I think the 40 days, 45 days is very similar to the line from the old movie Mr. Mom, where they are talking about running electric wire and the star (whose name I know, but can't pull out of my brain right now) says, 220-221 whatever it takes.

Hard to believe that movie dropped 37 years ago and we saw it in the theater in Houston, TX.........

61010399.jpg

We had become instant fans of Michael Keaton from seeing the movie "Night Shift" with Henry Winkler the year (1982) before. Still holds up well today. We were DINK's at the time until 1985.

Why two threads on Limoncello, or is it another of my Senior moments?
Anyway, here's what I put on the other one.
Nothing new but here's a link to Great Italian Chefs with a short video.

https://www.greatitalianchefs.com/recipes/limoncello-recipe
Regards to all

I watched that video when you posted it on my thread. That is basically how I make it (but I use Everclear 190 proof). But I have some issues with the video:

1. They don't say what proof vodka they are using, and that makes a huge difference. Anything less than 100 proof ends up being pretty weak with that recipe.
2. They say to use 7 lemons. I go by weight, not by number of lemons, because they are all different sizes. Some of my Sorrento lemons were at least twice the size of some of the lemons I have seen in the supermarket.
3. They keep the lemon peelings in the vodka for only 10-14 days. That is nowhere near long enough, and you can tell by the pale yellow of the vodka when they are finished. I use 190 proof Everclear, and I leave the peeelings in for 2-3 weeks.

I have been making limoncello for several years and I haven't noticed any harsh taste from it. But I have definitely noticed a vodka-like taste when I drink any that has been made with vodka. Vodka has a distinct taste, Everclear is tasteless.

I watched that video when you posted it on my thread. That is basically how I make it (but I use Everclear 190 proof). But I have some issues with the video:

1. They don't say what proof vodka they are using, and that makes a huge difference. Anything less than 100 proof ends up being pretty weak with that recipe.
2. They say to use 7 lemons. I go by weight, not by number of lemons, because they are all different sizes. Some of my Sorrento lemons were at least twice the size of some of the lemons I have seen in the supermarket.
3. They keep the lemon peelings in the vodka for only 10-14 days. That is nowhere near long enough, and you can tell by the pale yellow of the vodka when they are finished. I use 190 proof Everclear, and I leave the peeelings in for 2-3 weeks.

I have been making limoncello for several years and I haven't noticed any harsh taste from it. But I have definitely noticed a vodka-like taste when I drink any that has been made with vodka. Vodka has a distinct taste, Everclear is tasteless.

So what is the weight of lemons per 750 ml ?

Latest posts

Back