WineXpert Limited Edition Wines Announced

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojoeastcoast

Reaction score
Is anyone pre-ordering from the 2010 limited edition wines? Here is a list:

January - South African Shiraz, originally offered in January 2006
January - California Lake County Trio Blanca (dry), originally offered in January 2005
February - Australian Petit Verdot, originally offered in April 2004
March - Pacific Quartet (off-dry), originally offered in March 2007
April - Italian Brunello, originally offered in April 2007

http://www.limitededition20.com/wines

I am considering pre-ordering, but not sure which ones! I like lighter, easy sipping wines, not as much very-dry. Although, I don't mind dry as much in a white, as its chilled, but find it harder to tolerate in a red.

I might order the Shiraz, but probably not. Would like to do the Pacific Quartet but I'm currently over loaded with whites.

I have a list of this year's limited edition kits from Vineco, RJ Spagnols, Cellar Craft, and Winexpert. I have FIVE WHITES and TWO REDS marked as of interest. But given the number of bottles already in the house, the number of kits not yet made, and the current consumption rate, I think I'll wait a year to buy any more.

Steve

That is interesting you should mention those two (Shiraz and Pacific Quartet), as they are the two I am considering pre-ordering. The timing works well, as I think I can only handle a kit every 3 months right now, and I just started my Australian Traminer-Riesling. Also works well for me to do a white, red, white rotation.

I'm thinking the Petite Verdot for sure. It seems everyone that tried this one when it was originally released loved it.

I may also do the Shiraz and the Quartet.

Hmm, I might have to get the Trio Blanco. I made that 2005 series and while I am not a white wine fan the two whites in that series were absolutely fantastic.

I don't know if it's Winexpert's deal or my local retailer's own deal, but they told me if I ordered three kits I would receive an wine aerator thing when I pick up my first kit.

They showed me one of them and told me that they had tried one out. Apparently they work quite well and do the same thing as a decanting only much faster.

I saw a bottle of Italian Brunello at the store for $39. Yow, I think this can be made for about $6/bottle! I may have to try it.

I was handed a paper that compared the Brunello kit to a Sangiovese - Di Majo Norante at $15.99 a bottle.

It read "a good compromise.. Quality Sangiovese without Brunello's bruising prices"

It also compared the Shiraz to Thelma Mountain 2004 at $34.95

The Pacific Quartet to a Conundrum - Caymus 06/07 at $29.99 and the Rimarole White at $16.00

The Trio Blanca to Menage a Trois California White at $16.99

The paper was headed by a note saying " see below for Tim's recommended commercial equivalents." :b

No doubt the limited editions offer good value for the money.

I had a commercial bottle of Classic Chianti recently, on the back the description referred to it as Sangiovese. It was good,not excelllent. It was a $12 bottle. I suppose a Chianti could be any type of red table wine?

I was handed a paper that compared the Brunello kit to a Sangiovese - Di Majo Norante at $15.99 a bottle.

It read "a good compromise.. Quality Sangiovese without Brunello's bruising prices"

It also compared the Shiraz to Thelma Mountain 2004 at $34.95

The Pacific Quartet to a Conundrum - Caymus 06/07 at $29.99 and the Rimarole White at $16.00

The Trio Blanca to Menage a Trois California White at $16.99

The paper was headed by a note saying " see below for Tim's recommended commercial equivalents." :b

No doubt the limited editions offer good value for the money.

I have made a number of the WE LE kits. Most did not meet the expectations projected. Now don't get me wrong, they were very good wines (after proper aging) but were not comparable to the "target" commercial wines compared to. That marketing ploy is big with Wine Expert. They are always saying this will make the equivalent to a "$xx.oo" bottle of wine. I do see they have brought back the Trio Blanca. Now I do have to say, that is a very good wine that was probably closest to commercial quality I have ever made after a year of age.

My main point of this post is, don't buy a kit because of the marketing hype. It is hype and nothing else. Manufacturers have to do something to get you to buy their kits over another. You winemaking/fermentation practices, quality of water added, and aging schedule is all going to play in harmony with how good your wine is going to be. Once again, I am not saying these are sub-par quality wines, just I don't think they compare with the wines in the dollar range they suggest.

Also remember to that for example a $30.00 may not really be that good of a wine. The price of the bottle has much more to do than the quality. Increased transportation costs and the weakness of the US dollar to the Euro made a large increase in the price. Nothing to do with the quality or care the wine maker put into it. Also remember one real important point. Most kits are made from juice/grapes bought on the commodity market. They are not Estate grown to know the real true quality of the fruit used. Even the Estate series wines and normally just excess juice/grapes bought from the Terrior, not from one particular vineyard/Estate.

One more time, I am not slamming these kits or saying do not buy them. I buy them myself and enjoy them. The marketing claims touted though just rub me the wrong way. I have seen so many with such high expectations experience a real let down. And you are correct, you get a pretty good value for your money, just don't base your decision on the marketing claims.

I had a commercial bottle of Classic Chianti recently, on the back the description referred to it as Sangiovese. It was good,not excelllent. It was a $12 bottle. I suppose a Chianti could be any type of red table wine?

Sangiovese is a grape variety, chianti is a DOCG region in italy. Chianti Classico sub-region is ~100 sq miles between florence and sienna italy. there are other chianti regions as well. Sangiovese is one of several varieties used in chianti wine... sangiovese makes up 75-100% of chianti wine, up to 10% is canaiolo and up 20% can be any of a number of red grape varieties. sangiovese is also used in brunello di montalcino as well as a number of other italian red wines.

old world wines from places like france and italy are usually named by the region they are grown in, not the grape variety that is used.

Very well put and I agree. I have only made five WE kits. I only hoped they would be 1/2 as good as a good commercial wine. So far I have been completely satisfied with mine and others in our group. I have not had a bad one yet. Not only does it taste great,but I enjoy the hobby of making it and meeting new people with the same interest ;)

rawlus, Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate the knowledge of the people on this forum.

Rick from PA

Smurfe,

I fully agree that their comparisons to expensive commercial wines is mostly just marketing hype.

Still, I think that they do represent good value for the price.

As the company representatives point out their costs are lower for a special release because they are pre-sold. Therefore there are no storage expenses for either the raw materials or the kits once they are produced.

They know exactly what material they need when their orders are placed.

No doubt some of these savings are passed along.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back