Lime Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seolyk

Reaction score
Do you think it would be possible to make a lime wine?

would I need to juice all the limes? Should I put a few slices in the must? Would it be too acidic?

Of course you can make a wine from limes.
You can make wine out of nearly everything.
The question is wether it be any good.

I have made wine from mandarines and it came out rather well.
It was not the best wine but a refreshing white one.
I am not going to do it again though.

I do not think that citrus fruit in itself make a good wine.
The can be a good addition for pumping up acid, but lack enough flavor to make a stand alone wine.

Luc

Might try doing Lime Mead after I do Honeydew Mead. I live in an apartment so space limits how much I can do. Would it be bad to put a carboy under the bathroom sink where i keep my cleaning supplies?

I have a lime wine on the go at present and so far it smells and tastes divine. I added sultanas to it for extra body and suggest it is a good idea to add them as like the others say, lime on its own wouldnt be all that great.

Lime wine cooking

I have a lime wine going also (5 gallons in secondary) as I have a lime tree next door (these are very small limes - almost like key limes). I believe it was Jack Keller's recipe, but took everyone's advice and added bananas as well, which I am now doing with every batch. Funny how the bananas pieces totally dissolve after a few weeks (Allie reassured me this would happen on a different recipe when I had white specks floating around).

Is very tart (although good - will need sweetening), aromatic and even starting to clear after 3 weeks (fermentation slowing). I understand that this one will take a year to really develop, so I am prepared to wait it out.

Doing great thus far though :)

Back