Lifting Glass carboy when full

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbrook

Reaction score
Definitely a beginner question I'm sure!, and one thats asked in the title itself..
I'm about to rack my first wine in to a glass carboy and don't want to drop it when transferring it to its resting place. I've seen pictures of the carboy lifters people have that clamp on to the neck. Are these designed to use when the carboy is full or only when empty?
What in your opinion is the best thing to buy for lifting the carboy safely when it is full of lovely wine?

Do not lift a carboy if it has liquid in it with the handles that go around the neck. It can be done successfully, but that is a LOT of stress on the neck of the carboy and they have been known to break doing that! I have a few with handles on them and I only use the handle if they are empty.

I use a Brew hauler and small dollies (dollys?) on all my 6 gallon carboys.

Brew-Hauler-detail.png

815ck-kpzeL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
You can also put it in a plastic milk crate and lift the crate. They fit very nicely in the crates! Thats the prob with the glass carboys, not only are they heavy when empty, very heavy when full. That why I mostly use the better bottle type carboys!

Yes, you can use the clamps that go around the neck when the carboy is full. I'm nervous doing it but I've never had an issue. Side note: If you use One Step or Oxiclean to wash your carboys be sure to rinse them extremely well. The cleaner makes glass slicker than a greased pig.

I'm in the UK, I've looked everywhere for those brew Hauler straps or equivalent but can't find them anywhere :-(

Yes, you can use the clamps that go around the neck when the carboy is full. I'm nervous doing it but I've never had an issue. Side note: If you use One Step or Oxiclean to wash your carboys be sure to rinse them extremely well. The cleaner makes glass slicker than a greased pig.

You're a brave man. I have visions of that carboy neck snapping right off. I will use them to tilt the carboy, then I get a hand under it and use that, along w/ the handle. I will carry them around by the handle when empty though.

Although it is true that glass is much weaker in tension than in compression, I have blithely toted carboys by the neck (using the lifter that clamps on the neck). Indubitably, if one breaks, I will change form! :)

not only does it put stress on the neck, it also puts stress on the handle itself. If you think you have the handle on tight and its not quite tight enough or losens over the decades, it can slip off and then the unthinkable. my friend had this happen with red wine of course. what a mess to clean up. at least he had concrete floors

cheers

I gotta agree with vacuumpumpma, I have 5 bulging disk t-2 thru t-7 ,,
T-12 is crushed, had a upper uperepidermail! Right leg below th3 knee amputartes An 1/2 of left foot amputated, just to name some of my
Health problems, l never lift a full ca4boy, I use the all in one vacuumpu p,, give stev3 a hollar. Vacuumpumpman, yuoll nev3r be sorry it aks9 has a bottling affafchment, and you can get it wjth a whose house filter, since 8t works off vacuum kit eleminates exposer to oxygen, plus while ra king under vacuum you are automacticly degassing, it speeds up all the process, makes life much easier and much more enjoyable,
I bought two of the pumps, one I leave set up for racking and filter8ng and the other one I leave set up for bottling it als8 has a whole house filter on it, 5. Icron filters for reds and 1 micron filters for 2hites, I get my filters from eBay, spunn polypropylene, after eaçghuse you Prince then out in hot water and k-meta then put in a freezer bag an throw in the freezer, make sure to use a magic marker to mark the freezer bag with a 1 or 5 so you know your micron size when you use then next I bogought a box of 16 of each kind 4 years ago I still have over a half a box of each I think I gave about $28 dollars for each box of 16 now four years later I still got better then half of each unopened ,, I do just a little wine a year 50 to 70 gallons a year, you You can jimagne how much body pain that pump has saved me and while your at it give the head space eeleminater a try, if you got a carboy not full you don't have to top up with water or somebody else's store bought wine, using the head space eleminatter you will be making 100% you wine not watered down wine more adding someone else's wine to yourrs once you add store bought wine you might as well give up wine making and just bugy others wines,, but to each their own, but facts are facts,, my wine is my wine I don't need to doctor my wine by using store bought, I'm happy with what I make an so Ade my friends,,
Best of luck to you
Dawg

QUOTE=vacuumpumpman;636178]My question is = why would you want to lift a full carboy anyways ? - LOL

M<y back can not take it anymore and using the vacuum setup it is soo much faster and no more lifting ![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I imagine if pumps were free, everyone would be using them and people wouldn't have to ask about an alternative that is nearly $200 cheaper. Failing that, I carry mine around in milk crates. Even though it sounds like people haven't had any issues carrying them by the neck, it seems like such an unnecessary risk to me.

I only use my handles when the carboy is empty. Otherwise, i use the AIO or once in a while i will use my brew haulers....which are awesome. I am way too nervous about carrying a full carboy with the handle.

Last edited:
You think its an issue now? Just wait until your into your seventies and need to carry your 6 gallon carboys from the upstairs brewing area to the basement bulk aging and bottling area. :(

cartoon-old-man-lifting-weights-vector-illustration-42366555.jpg

Glass integrity aside, the neck handle provides room for only one hand. Unless you've been working out (a lot!), it's doubtful that you'd be able to carefully lift a loaded (lets say 6 gallon) carboy to table height with one arm. AIO or similar, Hauler straps, or milk crates would provide the most stable means of lifting product in a carboy.

You think its an issue now? Just wait until your into your seventies and need to carry your 6 gallon carboys from the upstairs brewing area to the basement bulk aging and bottling area. :(

cartoon-old-man-lifting-weights-vector-illustration-42366555.jpg

Is that Larry David? Pretty pretty pretty good!

tilt and support with the opposite hand. Never had an issue lifting 3 and 5 gal carboys with the handle. I have a 6.5 I'm a little more careful with.

Latest posts

Back