Lifting Glass carboy when full

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I’m new to this, I have avoided lifting full carboys by using a regular autosiphon to remove half the contents to another carboy at the same level, subject to the laws of siphoning. Then I have a half carboy of wine still on lees, for example, and another of clear wine that was just removed, both on the ground. To complete my racking, I only need to lift a half full carboy above ground level onto a sturdy chair and resume siphoning. Seems a lot better than trying to lift a full one. Is this a common practice?

Common? I don't know if it is common, but it is wise! I don't do that myself, but I probably should. (Not getting any younger, you know!)

Definitely a beginner question I'm sure!, and one thats asked in the title itself..
I'm about to rack my first wine in to a glass carboy and don't want to drop it when transferring it to its resting place. I've seen pictures of the carboy lifters people have that clamp on to the neck. Are these designed to use when the carboy is full or only when empty?
What in your opinion is the best thing to buy for lifting the carboy safely when it is full of lovely wine?

Two solutions:
(1) Use stairs. Place empty carboy on a stairstep about halfway down the stairs. Fill as usual. When reacking, place another empty carboy on the stairs, about two stairsteps below the full carboy. Rack and repeat. Finish with a carboy about two stairsteps above the floor. Bottle from there. NO LIFTING EVER. Note: If your stairsteps are narrow, you may need to secure your carboys with a bungee cord.

(2) Switch from glass carboys to 3 gallon BetterBottle carboys, which are easy to lift even when full. I did this four years ago and have never looked back.
betterbottle.jpg

Latest posts

Back