Life is too short

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a number of previous threads I could probably append this to. Just christened a carboy with the label: "life is too short to drink crappy wine." 18+ month Chilean Zin juice bucket. Over the years, I have made many enjoyable wines, and more and more "pretty darn good" wines (thanks to the wonderful and generous sharing of knowledge here!). This one is thin, weak and just "meh.' Have gone through my toolbox of tricks and my last option is to blend it with better wine until it become drinkable. Which would be a waste of good wine. Looked around my basement inventory and asked myself, "under what circumstances would I open a bottle of this?" Answer - if no one else were drinking and it was the last bottle available.

So the question - how long do you give a wine before deciding it is a no-go? Don't think aging is going to save this one and I would prefer to put the carboy to better use. Lots of cooking ahead: Marinades, deglazing pans, Red wine vinegar for cooking and gifting

RIP Zin - you are no longer considered worthy of the label "wine"

@JBP, this has been my issue with Chilean juice, inconsistency from one year to the next. I have made a Malbec that was spectacular by all accounts, rich taste, body, color and the next year was thin and watery. I began to augment the juice with a lug or two of the same grapes, but this was a lot more work and additional cost for a marginal improvement. Regarding Zinfandel, I would suggest not buying Zin juice or grapes from anywhere other than California.

One last suggestion, PM @joeswine and see if he can offer any insight.

So the question - how long do you give a wine before deciding it is a no-go?
There is no answer -- it's a case by case basis. Some wines just fizzle, while others may improve over time. I have a Zin that was too hot -- but at the 2.5 year mark it mellowed out, much to my surprise.

There are a number of previous threads I could probably append this to. Just christened a carboy with the label: "life is too short to drink crappy wine." 18+ month Chilean Zin juice bucket. Over the years, I have made many enjoyable wines, and more and more "pretty darn good" wines (thanks to the wonderful and generous sharing of knowledge here!). This one is thin, weak and just "meh.' Have gone through my toolbox of tricks and my last option is to blend it with better wine until it become drinkable. Which would be a waste of good wine. Looked around my basement inventory and asked myself, "under what circumstances would I open a bottle of this?" Answer - if no one else were drinking and it was the last bottle available.

So the question - how long do you give a wine before deciding it is a no-go? Don't think aging is going to save this one and I would prefer to put the carboy to better use. Lots of cooking ahead: Marinades, deglazing pans, Red wine vinegar for cooking and gifting

RIP Zin - you are no longer considered worthy of the label "wine"

An option...
Add some chocolate powder, light malt, flavored syrups, sugars, etc. then fortify it to a port (18-20% ABV). The flavorings might mask or reduce the perceived weakness in the base wine.

I agree with adding chocolate extract, sweeten and fortify for port style. That improves even the most MEH wine. Not bad wines but unremarkable.

When I no longer can drink it and get a buzz, then it is no good anymore. 🤣 That reminds me, a friend recently opened a bottle I had gifted him several years ago and complained. I said, what, it didn't taste any good any more? He said, no I just didn't get very drunk off it. I said, Robert, you have been drinking too much hard liquor then! That stuff was 15%.

@Rice_Guy - you are spot on. I need the carboy (or, I want the carboy - I always tell my adult children to distinguish between need and want) and I have no 20ish friends (see earlier - I have 30 year old kids).

@Ohio Bob - will try some of these (and the other) new tweaks. Why we have gallon/half gallon jugs...

Thanks all - it won't go down the drain. Between red wine vinegar (cooking is a passion) and the other suggestions here, I will let it live another day and grow older. All of us deserve as much time as possible....albeit in smaller quantities so my carboy can do something useful!

Latest posts

Back