Level Airlock During Malolactic Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisL

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has some insight into what signs you should expect to see in your airlock during malolactic fermentation? I'm about 40 days into malo, and until now the solution in the airlock was being pushed outward into the chamber furthest from the wine, which I assumed was due to CO2 produced during malo. However, now the solution has leveled out equally between the two chambers. I did a chromatography test the other day, which revealed a strong remaining presence of malic acid, so I know malo is not complete. Is it possible that malo is continuing despite the equal levels in the airlock-- in which case I would leave the wine alone to finish naturally-- or do the equal levels in the airlock indicate a stuck MLF so that I should try to restart it? Since it seems like a fairly slow malo to begin with, I am trying to figure out sooner rather than later so I can add sulfites for protection as soon as possible.

Thanks!

I seldom get any indication in my airlock during malolactic fermentation. I always use Vp41 or Ch16. I rehydrate along with opti-malo, add to my wine. Making sure I have some lees available. I stir one or so a week for the first four weeks, then less often. I don't even check for any completion until two months after inoculation and when chromatography indicates it is complete I wait another month or two. I generally completion did to five months. Oh and I do all this in my basement at probably 64 or less. I have never had one I considered stuck.

Airlock level is a nice indicator, but there are many things that can go on. Temperature change? Did you bump it such that pressure equalized? If your temperature is good, little air space and good pH, i wouldn't be too eager to rush it and add meta. Like Cmason, mine take 2-3 months.

Thank you both for your input. I was especially wondering because I racked at 30 days to get the wine off the oak cubes I added. I made sure to stir before racking since I know it's important to keep some lees for the bacteria to feed off of, but I was wondering if I may have left too much or if the oxygen introduced through racking could have hurt. I also had to top off with some store-bought wine and was thinking the sulfites could have killed some of the bacteria. Any thoughts on whether all this would usually be too much for the bacteria to tough it out through? This is my first time with MLF, so I'm not sure how resilient the little guys are.

Great-- thanks again for your help. Will probably hold off for a few weeks and retest to see if there's any progress.

Sincerely,
Chris

Back