RJ Spagnols Lesser Juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabeachbear

Reaction score
Wanted to pass this on. I've wondered why RJS has been changing a lot of their kits from places that are known for their grape, to places that are not.

Ex. - Spanish Cab, Italy Zin, Chilean Merlot, Spanish Grenache/Syrah, Chilean Pinot, are all changes I've noticed in the last year or two.

I've assumed its all price, which I'm sure most of it is. I've backed off making these kits because I didn't like where they were sourcing from now.

Came across this article and it stood out because of what my perception of what RJS was doing.

http://www.snooth.com/articles/the-...medium=email&utm_source=all&utm_content=83674

I still think they are doing it for price, but maybe, its OK to try some of the new changes.

I have to agree with your general sentiments. I think the move is a "value story," long and short.

However, two of your examples stood out to me.

"Italian Zinfandel" -- the Italian grape Primitivo is either identical or nearly identical to Zinfandel. An Italian vintner can produce Primitivo in Italy and legally sell it in the US and Europe labelled as "Zinfandel."

Second, "Spanish Syrah/Grenache" -- Actually, RJS calls it "Spain Grenache Syrah." One of the principal Spanish varietals is Garnacha (aka Grenache). They grow 45% of the world's supply of the grape. Spain also grows Syrah, but not that much, I grant you, only 5% of the world production. These are both hot-weather grapes, so seem like a natural pairing to me for Spain.

However, from a marketing angle, I agree with you. They chose to call it "Zinfandel," not "Primitivo," and they chose to call it "Grenache" not "Garnacha." And your other examples speak for themselves.

I have to agree with your general sentiments. I think the move is a "value story," long and short.

However, two of your examples stood out to me.

"Italian Zinfandel" -- the Italian grape Primitivo is either identical or nearly identical to Zinfandel. An Italian vintner can produce Primitivo in Italy and legally sell it in the US and Europe labelled as "Zinfandel."

Second, "Spanish Syrah/Grenache" -- Actually, RJS calls it "Spain Grenache Syrah." One of the principal Spanish varietals is Garnacha (aka Grenache). They grow 45% of the world's supply of the grape. Spain also grows Syrah, but not that much, I grant you, only 5% of the world production. These are both hot-weather grapes, so seem like a natural pairing to me for Spain.

However, from a marketing angle, I agree with you. They chose to call it "Zinfandel," not "Primitivo," and they chose to call it "Grenache" not "Garnacha." And your other examples speak for themselves.

Agree on your two examples, but Garnacha from Spain is completely different from France/Rhone Valley, and Primitivo is actually Zin, but its much different in Italy than Zin in say Dry Creek or Lodi.

I'd be curious to see if they're sales are down on all of these kits because of the changes they've made.

Latest posts

Back