Less than optimal sun duration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alurpal

Junior
Reaction score
All other variables aside, if I have a perfect spot for some vinifera vines but it only gets 5 hours full sun due to sloped hill and trees, would I expect less yields, longer ripening, or both?

I don’t have much experience with grapes yet (mine are still babies) but I do a lot of vegetable gardening and yields and quality are almost always best with full sun… 5 hours is a lot less than full sun in the summer months.

This may not hold for grapes that are being grown in areas that are too hot and dry.

I would check with your local university viniculture program

All other variables aside, if I have a perfect spot for some vinifera vines but it only gets 5 hours full sun due to sloped hill and trees, would I expect less yields, longer ripening, or both?
Several of my vines are shaded and receive about 6 hours of full sun and they struggle so much I either need to cut a tree down or pull them. I don’t think 5 hours of sun will ripen your grapes.

What time of year does this place receive 5 hours of sunlight? In the winter the sun is lower in the sky, so you will receive more sunlight in the summer than winter.

What time of year does this place receive 5 hours of sunlight? In the winter the sun is lower in the sky, so you will receive more sunlight in the summer than winter.
Good point. 5 hours is actually what my site has now, in March. I believe it should be a minimum of 6 as the days get longer.

Latest posts

Back