Less grapes this year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
This year there seems to be less grapes on my Marquette vines. This is my 4th summer with them and last year I had a lot more grapes. Any ideas. Thanks john.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The leaves and stems are growing like wildfire though.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Low temps kill buds that produce…….. grapes.

My bet would be that as the likely reason.

Were the vines very thick last year? Too much foliage one years leads to a slimmer crop the next year because the sunlight can't get to the buds to initiate the fruit bearing buds for the following year.

Were the vines very thick last year? Too much foliage one years leads to a slimmer crop the next year because the sunlight can't get to the buds to initiate the fruit bearing buds for the following year.

Great information. I didn't realize that. Learn something new from Grapeman every day!

I don't know anything about growing grapes. But in my apple growing researched I learned that you need to thin out high apple production to achieve yields every year. If you let the tree grow apples as it wants it is very easy to only get apples every other year. I would assume the same could happen to grape vines. You know what happens when you *** u me.

Latest posts

Back