Leon Millot juice "stuck"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMonger

Reaction score
10 days ago, I went to the Finger Lakes and brought back 2 buckets of juice: Diamond white and Leon Millot red. The next day, I added sugar to both to bring the SG up to around 1.085 - 1.090. Added ICV-D47 yeast to the white and 71B-1122 to the red. Both were fermenting really well in primary buckets. When they hit 1.020, I racked to carboys and airlocked them. They both got down to 1.01 and no further. After 3 more day, they still didn't move.

The temp of the room in between 70 and 75, so it's warm enough. I made a yeast starter (about 2 cups) with EC1118 and added some sugar. I let it get really foamy and them added to each carboy. I stirred them well, and put the carboys back on. I had bubbling every few moments. But next day, everything slowed down. So, I let it go thinking its just going to be very slow from here on out.

Today, I tested the SG and they're both still at 1.01. What should I do next? The white will probably be OK since it's a Niagara-like sweeter wine. But I'd really like the Leon Millot to go dry, if possible.

Thanks,
-Tom in Scranton, PA USA

Hi Tom,

did you add any suphites to your wines when you racked to the carboy? If so this might have stopped the fermentation.

Also, these two just might be a very slow fermenting wines. When I racked to a carboy I usually don't bother with it for about a month. I would leave it sit for a couple of weeks.

I totally agree with Julie. Just set them aside where it is a good temp such as you have and let it settle out. Chances are it will slowly drop a bit more and get where you want it. I have Leon Millot continue to drop for quite some time, just very slowly. It turns out great and is a nice easy drinker.

Thank you both for your replies! Then it's settled... I will let it sit.

So Grapeman ... tell me more about Leon Millot wine! I've never had it before, but tried a juice sample at Fulkerson's winery at Seneca Lake. I loved it! How long do you let it go for? A year? Do you sweeten it at all, or let it go completely dry?

Thanks!
-Tom

Leon Millot is a nice smooth, easy drinking dry red that comes across as off-dry. It can be oaked lightly or kept unoaked. It has a nice upfront fruitiness of black cherry and vanilla notes. There is a mild tannin structure to it and many people like it as an everyday wine. Mine always cook up great also.

Latest posts

Back