Lent is Coming...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Lent officially starts next Wednesday. I, and a handful of others here have been giving up the sauce during this time for the last few years. It isn't so much a religious observance as it is just taking a break. I tend to drink 'more than your average bear' and this gives me an opportunity for a gut check - if it becomes hard to do, I know I have some thinking to do. Plus, it can't be bad for your health to simply give up drinking for a few weeks. There are no hard and fast rules for me. I just stop drinking - usually starting the Monday after Ash Wednesday (which is 3/11 this year) and go until Good Friday (4/19). Most years, I give myself one cheat day if there is an event of particular significance. And if I'm partaking in winemaking activities that require it (truly require it), I will sample wines in progress; but this is typically limited to very small amounts.

So after next weekend, I'll be going dry for a bit. Anyone else?

This is how you can tell I'm not Catholic, and evidently not that bright at times. I ran into my new landlord a couple of hours ago as he was getting out of his truck and blurted out " oh my god, how'd you bruise your forehead" only to be reminded, at least with a genuine chuckle, that it was good wednesday. First Arizona embarassed blush accomplished!
Mike

Well, no cheat day planned for me. The most difficult part so far was St. Patrick's day, but I got through that easily enough. Day 21 for me! over the hump... Wahoo!

4 more days! We had a long, busy day yesterday. And when we finally went out for a very late dinner, I almost went for the wine list. The waitress asked my wife if she wanted it and she started so say "No, but he probably does", when she cut herself off and reminded me I had a few more days. :i

Latest posts

Back