Lenoir fermenting now, when to rack off lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Y

Junior
Reaction score
Normally make muscadine wine and have racked off lees⁰ by this point , but not yet on this Lenoir. Put under air lock at 1.020sg and activity is down to micro bubbles after a couple of weeks.Did top off after vigorous activity died down. Want to rack and add kmeta and am curious if what I am seeing is the settling and off gassing. One bubble from the airlock every couple of minutes. Looks like most of the lees has settled at bottom. Looks good!
Advice is appreciated

What is the SG now? It will tell you if fermentation is done. I think the rule is 1.00 or less and no change for three or more days.

If the wine is clearing I doubt it is in active fermentation. More likely off gassing a little CO2.

Definitely clearing, will probably rack off lees this weekend and add kmeta.

If there is still some fermentation going on don’t count on the K-meta to stop it. For that you will need potassium sorbate. If you are in no hurry to bottle the k-meta will be enough for now. I would let it age for three months then taste and maybe rack it again.

Latest posts

Back