Quantcast

lemonade wine question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Reaction score
Ok I saw the skeeter pee so I had to give it a try and I also had to try something a little different. The skeeter pee is coming along great, just racked it today. the sg is 1.043, I started at 1.095.

The other batch I used frozen lemonade concentrate. I used 9 cans and mixed it to 4.5 gallons, I added enough sugar to get a sg 1.080 and used red star montrachet yeast. It didn't start for a week, but it started. there is an odd curdled looking substance on top. Is this normal? just from the lemonade and it is fine? or something to be concerned about?

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
If its fermenting then it most likely is fine but a week without fermentation can have cfreated a problem also and thats why you should have used the same technique with the slurry due to the lemonades high acidity. Do you have the ability to post a pic of it?

jeepingchick

**Domestic Goddess**
Reaction score
the week without fermentaion scares me... Im sure ull get more advice on it if u post a pic..is there an odor to go along with that odd curdled look??

Reaction score
there is no bad or unpleasant odor it smells like lemonade. I'll go take the pic and post it asap

skiboarder72

Reaction score
haven't seen that either... have you tasted it? any off flavors?

if it doesn't smell bad, or taste bad... it should be fine, just make sure to rack it off any of the leftover crap!

Reaction score
why would I taste it when it has only been in the process for 11 days? I have the answer to the question of what is it. It is the pulp from the lemonade concentrate. I think I will rack it and remove all of the pulp tomorrow.

jeepingchick

**Domestic Goddess**
Reaction score
why??? so you know if its tastes "off" and dont waste ur time or carboy space.... your not tasting for the alcohol , and your not drinking a nice enjoyable glass, u just wanna know if it tastes like lemon or like funk....

hope its the concentrate like u said

Last edited:

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Actually just looks like a yeast slurry to me that is stuck in suspension due to gas or because its still fermenting. I think just because its very acidic you are probably fine as microbes dont like that acidic environment. I think your fine. Tasting a wine at different times is good so you know the phases it goes through although doing so often could lead you into topping off problems.

Reaction score
i just think it is too early to taste it. I have been checking the smell of it and it still smells like fresh lemonade while the skeeter pee has a very sulphur type scent to it but even that passed and is going along like normal now.

Reaction score
just a quick note about the progress here. I rcked the lemonade wine last night and got as much of the pulp out as I could and it looks great. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Reaction score
just an update, the lemonade wine is coming along great and going strong. the one I made with lemon juice is just about done. I am going to rack it again tomorrow and add the sorbate and raise the sugar content. what percent should skeeter pee be? I will wait 2 week to be sure no fermentation restarts then I will clear with Liquor Quik Super-Kleer K.C. then bottle after 3 days.

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
just an update, the lemonade wine is coming along great and going strong. the one I made with lemon juice is just about done. I am going to rack it again tomorrow and add the sorbate and raise the sugar content. what percent should skeeter pee be? I will wait 2 week to be sure no fermentation restarts then I will clear with Liquor Quik Super-Kleer K.C. then bottle after 3 days.
Bring your sg to around 1.010. Actually, sweeten to your liking. Mine is usually at 1.010 when I bottle and that seems to work, sweet but not overly sweet.

upper

Reaction score
Hey Keystone,Upper here.I had a starter in some fresh squeeze lemon PEE.Had me scared but after 2 days it looks kind of like yours.Smells like lemon,tastes like chicken.........I love the smell........Upper:sm

grapeman

Administrator
WMT Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You are right about that being the pulp. You can buy leomanade concentrate with or without pulp- that one has the pulp. It probably looks that way because it is in the neck cindensed to one spot. There is enough acid in that at the beginning that it should not spoil before fermentation began.

Rock

Reaction score
I also had the same thing floating at the top of my pee.I just added water to it and let it roll out by its self.Turned out great.

Latest posts