lemon leaf wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winekit

Junior
Reaction score
have two lemon trees (potted) grown from seed,may the leaves be used for wine? Have not found any info for or against.
thanks, winekit:

Just curious. Are the leaves aromatic or do they have some other quality that has inspired your question?
Also, try looking at Jack Keller's website for some obscure recipes that may be close enough. He may even have one for lemon leaf.

I would be more interested in lime leaves which are extremely aromatic.

the leaves are extremely fragrant,if you rub the leaf it has a fragrant lemon aroma,my concern is the oil in the leaf.Some oils can be a problem turning rancid possibly.i have not found any recipes either at jk's site or searching the web.A tea of dried lemon leaves reported to be helpfull with stomach problems at one site,which prompted the possibility of a wine.
If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.
thanks
winekit

I too sure think its worth a try.

http://www.honeycreek.us/recipe.php

This site has several odd wine recipes. Sorry, no lemon leaf, but check out the one for walnut or oak leaf wine.

And if not for wine I'll bet dried lemon leaf would be great in tea!!

Keep us posted.

Troy

lemon leaf wine

Thanks for the input all, i too think what the heck, life's too short not to try.It might actually be drinkable..LOL! will post recipe and results..
winelit:dg

Curious to see your recipe idea. I'm thinking you might consider using some raisins and/or using white grape uice as a base. Probably for sure will want to use yeast nutrient as I doubt theres anything in those leaves for the yeast to "eat".

Also I wonder if there would be any advantage to drying them first, then seeping them in boiling grape juice or something.

I hope others will chime in on this for you.

Tell us what you propose to do.

Sounds great!

Last edited:
lemon leaf

why not try to make a tea first then turn it into wine,or try making a extract out of it then into a cello..........:db

lemon leaf wine recipe

this is from j.kellers site
One does not make anise wine per se, but rather makes another wine and flavors it with anise (star anise). With this in mind, I will offer you two recipes for anise wine. One is grape-based and the other is potato -based.

Anise Wine (Grape-Based)

2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% White Grape Juice (Niagara grape) frozen concentrate
12 lemon leaves in 1 qt water brought to simmer,covered,steeped 1 hour,used tea only
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make 7 pints total volume and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except anise and yeast. Place crushed anise in small piece of cloth with a glass marble in it. Gather cloth around contents and tie closed with long piece of button thread. Sink the cloth packet in secondary but retain loose end of thread outside secondary. Cover mouth of secondary with napkin, paper towel or cloth fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover. When active fermentation slows down (about 7-9 days), remove cloth packet, top up with water and attach airlock. Rack, top up and refit airlock after 60 days. After additional 60 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and set aside under airlock additional 2 weeks. If no sign of refermentation, rack into bottles. [Author's own recipe]

started 2/9/10.....winekit

lemon leaf wine recipe

i forgot to state i used the peel n juice of 3 lge lemons instead of acid blend.Iwanted the additional lemon accent.
winekit

Latest posts

Back