Legs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbeckton

Reaction score
I’ve read that legs don’t really tell you much and are only a phenomena of alcohol evaporation but for some reason I never see legs on my kit wines (mostly WE Eclipse reds now 2yrs old). Seems as if my kit wines have a similar alcohol level and final gravity as commercial wines then they should exhibit the same characteristics. Anyone notice this or is it just me?

I have used the same glasses for both commercial wines and my kit wines so that variable seems to be eliminated as a difference.

I’ve read that legs don’t really tell you much and are only a phenomena of alcohol evaporation but for some reason I never see legs on my kit wines (mostly WE Eclipse reds now 2yrs old). Seems as if my kit wines have a similar alcohol level and final gravity as commercial wines then they should exhibit the same characteristics. Anyone notice this or is it just me?

I have used the same glasses for both commercial wines and my kit wines so that variable seems to be eliminated as a difference.

I see them in kit, home made from grapes, and commercial wines, and sometimes not.............They don't really mean anything to me one way or another.

I see them in kit, home made from grapes, and commercial wines, and sometimes not.............They don't really mean anything to me one way or another.

Ok, so you are seeing them in kits (at least sometimes). My only thoughts are that people eat (and drink!) with their eyes so if they expect to see legs and do not they might perceive this as a “deficiency” in homemade wine even before tasting it.

I know they don’t mean anything, just want to see them!

Ok, so you are seeing them in kits (at least sometimes). My only thoughts are that people eat (and drink!) with their eyes so if they expect to see legs and do not they might perceive this as a “deficiency” in homemade wine even before tasting it.

I know they don’t mean anything, just want to see them!

I see em in kit wines. Sometimes not as strong or delayed, but they’re there. Lighting doesn’t always agree. Swirl the glass and shine a light through and look at the shadow it casts on a white wall behind it. A cool trick to magnify the legs.
And I agree, regardless of meaning- it’s just nice to see em. I’m a leg man myself. And I think that ZZ Top video in my formative years is largely responsible for it. Along with some Motley Crüe and Van Halen videos too.

Latest posts

Back