Left the wine on the fruit for far to long, wine smells like rotten fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopline

Reaction score
So being new to wine and a extremist, I learned a lot (not enough clearly, lol) and jumped in. to 8 different batches of wine at once. Yes I don't do things half way, its go big or go home.

Ive learned several things already that I didn't read about, so good experience thus far.

My big issue is that 2 of the batches I jumped in with were from actual fruit (as opposed to just juice). A raspberry and a triple berry.

The triple berry (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry) one I never punched down the bag in the wine even once. I put it in and 7 days later took it out. It had "scum" on top of it and I wound up then freaking out and punching it down and mixing all that in. (probably made it worse)

Well that 6 gallon batch of triple berry is now racked and setting with potasium sorbate, campden and sparkaloid (all according to the recipe I was following).

My basic question is, it smells like the decaying fruit. Will that go away with time or can I help it?

I did taste it and I didn't find it pleasant, but it was only 7 days old so I didn't expect too much.

I did read that I could try some activated carbon, although I haven't had much luck finding any, except for stuff that says it can't be used with wine (although that is only due to it sucking out flavor, which may be what is needed).

If Im just going to wind up with pink alcoholic water, then I might as well start over, but if there is any advice Id love to hear it.

I now know of course that I should get the wine off the fruit in 5 days or less in most cases.

As irony would have it, after "blowing up" a batch of welches grape wine I have one that actually smells quite nice. So my $1 a bottle of wine is turning out and my more expensive stuff is not. Par for the course I suppose. lol

But with 8 batches going and 1 done I think I have probably ruined 5 of them, but the other 4 will probably turn out.

All that said, I am happy to wait on this wine, I don't mean to rush it, and I realize my question is subjective since none of you can smell or taste my wine,. But just looking for good general info. I would like to do a lot of wine from actual fruit, so I need to get my bases covered and get the hang of it.

I did try searching this forum for info on this, but I didnt' really find anything that I thought directly applied, although I learned a bit more. That may simply be because Im just ignorant of how it applied, but Im also happy for someone to just link me to the info I need.

I really just need pointed in the right direction and Ill figure it out, Im a go getter. Im just not sure which direction to go, but if all else fails Ill learn by experience.

Cheers and thanks!

Edit: probably a picture or video would not help? If it would Im happy to post.

Last edited:
So being new to wine and a extremist, I learned a lot (not enough clearly, lol) and jumped in. to 8 different batches of wine at once. Yes I don't do things half way, its go big or go home.

Ive learned several things already that I didn't read about, so good experience thus far.

My big issue is that 2 of the batches I jumped in with were from actual fruit (as opposed to just juice). A raspberry and a triple berry.

The triple berry (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry) one I never punched down the bag in the wine even once.not good I put it in and 7 days later took it out. It had "scum" on top of it and I wound up then freaking out and punching it down and mixing all that in. (probably made it worse)possibly but let it sit, it might be fine

Well that 6 gallon batch of triple berry is now racked and setting with potasium sorbate, campden and sparkaloid (all according to the recipe I was following).

My basic question is, it smells like the decaying fruit. Will that go away with time or can I help it? most of the time it will over time, but if it's real bad then I'd say no

I did taste it and I didn't find it pleasant, but it was only 7 days old so I didn't expect too much.

I did read that I could try some activated carbon, although I haven't had much luck finding any, except for stuff that says it can't be used with wine (although that is only due to it sucking out flavor, which may be what is needed). NEVER USE CARBON IN WINE, IT WILL STRIP FLAVOR AND COLOR

If Im just going to wind up with pink alcoholic water, then I might as well start over, but if there is any advice Id love to hear it.

I now know of course that I should get the wine off the fruit in 5 days or less in most cases.

As irony would have it, after "blowing up" a batch of welches grape wine I have one that actually smells quite nice. So my $1 a bottle of wine is turning out and my more expensive stuff is not. Par for the course I suppose. lol

But with 8 batches going and 1 done I think I have probably ruined 5 of them, but the other 4 will probably turn out.

All that said, I am happy to wait on this wine, I don't mean to rush it, and I realize my question is subjective since none of you can smell or taste my wine,. But just looking for good general info. I would like to do a lot of wine from actual fruit, so I need to get my bases covered and get the hang of it.

I did try searching this forum for info on this, but I didnt' really find anything that I thought directly applied, although I learned a bit more. That may simply be because Im just ignorant of how it applied, but Im also happy for someone to just link me to the info I need.

I really just need pointed in the right direction and Ill figure it out, Im a go getter. Im just not sure which direction to go, but if all else fails Ill learn by experience.

Cheers and thanks!

Edit: probably a picture or video would not help? If it would Im happy to post.

Patience is key in wine making.

Need to punch down 2 times daily and then the 7 days would not have hurt you.

Welcome to wine making talk.

I would not have used the potassium sorbate so early in the process; however, it's probably got nothing to do with the aroma.

Patience is key in wine making.

Need to punch down 2 times daily and then the 7 days would not have hurt you.

Welcome to wine making talk.

Well it wasn't a lack of patience, I have 4 kids and a partially disabled wife and a business I run and etc...

So being the first batch, I actually forgot it was there. I set it up on Saturday and I blinked and it was 7 days later. It wasn't till after I opened it that I remembered I was to punch it down.

Next time Ill have to do it entirely differently.

Although while I appreciate your comments for next time, that doesn't actually answer my question, which is "Is there anything I can do with this batch at this point?"

I would not have used the potassium sorbate so early in the process; however, it's probably got nothing to do with the aroma.

yes everything I read agrees with you, but the directions I had said to go that route.

A few of my batches I was following recipes and some of them Im just winging it and we shall see how it turns out.

Well it wasn't a lack of patience, I have 4 kids and a partially disabled wife and a business I run and etc...

So being the first batch, I actually forgot it was there. I set it up on Saturday and I blinked and it was 7 days later. It wasn't till after I opened it that I remembered I was to punch it down.

Next time Ill have to do it entirely differently.

Although while I appreciate your comments for next time, that doesn't actually answer my question, which is "Is there anything I can do with this batch at this point?"

yes everything I read agrees with you, but the directions I had said to go that route.

A few of my batches I was following recipes and some of them Im just winging it and we shall see how it turns out.

Yes I thought I had answered it. Only time will tell if it can be saved. Add some kmeta and check it again in 2 to 3 weeks. The you will have a better idea if it can be saved.

Did a batch from fresh Loquats once, smelled awful, like sulfur, splash racked it several times, smell went away in time and turned out to be very good wine. Loren

Yes I thought I had answered it. Only time will tell if it can be saved. Add some kmeta and check it again in 2 to 3 weeks. The you will have a better idea if it can be saved.

Thanks, thats useful. Sorry if I didn't pick up on your answer the first go round, but your second answer hit home. Thanks for your time.

I added kmeta already, but Ill wait and see. I think Ill wait even longer as well and see. From what I can tell I can tip in some activated carbon, and that may strip out flavors, both good and bad.

So Ill go the time route and then I can always mess around with it later if the flavor doesn't go away. Worst case at this point I don't think I can make it much worse, so it will be a good experience and I won't forget as this is the wine I was most looking forward to.

Have a great weekend!

Did a batch from fresh Loquats once, smelled awful, like sulfur, splash racked it several times, smell went away in time and turned out to be very good wine. Loren

Thanks Loren, thats encouraging to hear. Especially for the fact I have 3 other 1 gallon batches that I also screwed up in the same way, although to a lesser degree.

So next time Im going to do this in a different way, and I will also place the fruit batches in a location in the house that is where I can't miss it. Further alarms will be my friend now, instead of my memory. :)

Live and learn. If I remember Ill post back here with an update in some months.

Cheers!

The other thing is it is going to taste like "crap" only being 7 days old. I assume it is Dragon Blood, from your description. You will also need to backsweeten it, that will improve the flavor.
And as already mentioned, patience. Very, very few wines will be "great" in two weeks time.

The best thing to do with fruit is freeze to start, thaw, squeeze or press fruit to start for some juice, while ferment is going on stir twice a day and push fruit down, it will rise back to the top, that's not controllable. When you make a decision to start a batch you must commit to it otherwise it's a crap shoot on final product. I'm building a house this summer but have still put three six gallon batches together, yes I'm late on some racking but the ferment time is critical. You should look at country fruit posts for good info. Good luck.

The other thing is it is going to taste like "crap" only being 7 days old. I assume it is Dragon Blood, from your description. You will also need to backsweeten it, that will improve the flavor.
And as already mentioned, patience. Very, very few wines will be "great" in two weeks time.

Agree 100%. I though this too while reading through. I was very disappointed when making this triple berry blend Dragon Blood. Fermented dry and couldn't even fathom drinking it. But a few weeks after it was cleared I backsweetened and finally realized what all the fuss was about. I'm not much of a sweet fruit wine guy, but I know good from bad. Before backsweetened = dry & raw. Not good. After sweetened= enjoyable and fruity, with that rawness still there, but now in the background as the fruit became the dominant component. The sugar added was mostly what I tasted at first. A month or 2 later was when the fruit really took over.

Agree 100%. I though this too while reading through. I was very disappointed when making this triple berry blend Dragon Blood. Fermented dry and couldn't even fathom drinking it. But a few weeks after it was cleared I backsweetened and finally realized what all the fuss was about. I'm not much of a sweet fruit wine guy, but I know good from bad. Before backsweetened = dry & raw. Not good. After sweetened= enjoyable and fruity, with that rawness still there, but now in the background as the fruit became the dominant component. The sugar added was mostly what I tasted at first. A month or 2 later was when the fruit really took over.

Good to know, thanks.

The best thing to do with fruit is freeze to start, thaw, squeeze or press fruit to start for some juice, while ferment is going on stir twice a day and push fruit down, it will rise back to the top, that's not controllable. When you make a decision to start a batch you must commit to it otherwise it's a crap shoot on final product. I'm building a house this summer but have still put three six gallon batches together, yes I'm late on some racking but the ferment time is critical. You should look at country fruit posts for good info. Good luck.

So I was thinking what if I weight the bag? I mean surely someone has tried it, so that it stays suspended in the wine. A glass weight of some sort I assume would have no affect on flavor. I thought of this the other day, but I have yet to research it properly.

Not that I wouldn't still stir it, but at least that way it negates the fruit hitting the air.

Yes it tastes like crap, and that doesn't bother me, I know its going to take time to actually taste good.

My only concern is that I have read a lot about if you leave the fruit on the wine too long, the wine will take on "rotten fruit" flavors.

The issue was I was smelling rotten fruit in the wine, even after taking the fruit off and I just wondered if I could do anything to specifically get rid of the "rottenness" flavor smell.

My other wines don't smell awesome/taste awesome right off of the ferment, but they don't smell/taste like that rotten fruit is all.

But its a good experience, we shall see if the rottenness factor goes away in time or not. I just didsn't want to wait too long if there was something I could do now while it was young and that if I had waited that I couldn't do.

But anything I can do now sounds like I can do later, other then just aging it and maybe splash racking.

Latest posts

Back