Other Left carboy out for 24 hours

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuziwk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i just racked from my primary into secondary, i added 4G grams sulfites and left the headspace as i was supposed to come back later to degas and top it off. I forgot and in that time the stopper popped off, i noticed it today, roughly 24 hours later it was wide open in the glass carboy the whole time. Assuming no fruit flies got it, will the wine be fine? Should i add more sulfite into the wine?

If it was making enough CO2 to pop the stopper, I would think you're fine. The CO2 is heavier than oxygen so it protects the wine during fermentation. Even if it fermented to dry, it still is offgassing CO2 for a while. I wouldn't worry, as long as no fruit fries got in.

Without evidence of bugs, I would probably wait until fermentation is complete before adding Kmeta per the usual steps, but others may have different advice.

I agree with @Jovimaple, enough CO2 is being expelled that it's not a real problem.

FYI, don't use a solid stopper unless you are using a barrel or are 100% positive the fine is fully degassed. Even then I recommend a vented bung, as volume changes with temperature, so if your area heats up, a solid bug may be popped anyway.

Latest posts

Back