Left bunge out of bulk aging chardonnay for a week!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMJP

Junior
Reaction score
Made a really nice Chardonnay and decided to let it bulk age, 1st time I've done this. Was getting a sample to taste after about a month and forgot to put the bunge back in! I am scared that I have ruined it! It smells fine. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to bottle it if its just going to oxidize on me. Thanks!

Made a really nice Chardonnay and decided to let it bulk age, 1st time I've done this. Was getting a sample to taste after about a month and forgot to put the bunge back in! I am scared that I have ruined it! It smells fine. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I don't want to bottle it if its just going to oxidize on me. Thanks!
Get it sulfited pronto, that will stop / prevent any oxidation from starting / continuing. If it looks the proper color, and tastes like it should, probably no harm done. I’m betting that you had it topped up well, a lifesaver in situations like this.

Agree with John, Get it sulphited now!
All air exposure (even going back to the grape press) will do some degredation of the wine. Wine is a soup of oxidized and reduced chemicals, all wineries use the redox potential up as the wine is manufactured and ages. OK this is life.

I posted a page on oxidation if you are really, really, really interested.
This post evaluates ten webinars,, “BOOK REVIEWs” related to air exposure (AKA redox potential) while making wine. -> -> # six -> -> continued on next page

Will add the suphites this morning. Do you think 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons will be enough? Yes had it topped off pretty good. Thanks for the webinars Rice_guy lots of info. Thank you both for the quick response!

Will add the suphites this morning. Do you think 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons will be enough? Yes had it topped off pretty good. Thanks for the webinars Rice_guy lots of info. Thank you both for the quick response!

I might go a bit heavy and use a 1/2 tsp for 6 gallons, just for the extra benefit. But either way is probably fine.

Latest posts

Back