Lees rising to top??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ajmass5983, I have cleaned up the crusher and everything is ready to go, just waiting on grapes.

Wanted to thank you once again. I have two bottles reserved with your name on them. Both all grape batches one is the 2016 SA Cab and my 2016 South Philly Bordeaux. Both are thanks for the crusher and Bravado. I will deliver when ever we can work out a time.View attachment 47625

That’s awesome. Glad to hear it. And looking forward to your wines. Saving the SB and cherry for some warmer weather.
On a related topic , my ‘17 chilean cab that we agreed to swap had some potential mycoderma issues as you know. I planned to drink em now in case they went south.
Cracked the 1st one a week after bottling. . Still young and fresh from bottling, and not as big as typical cabs- yet still enjoyable. We had a small glass each. Left half filled bottle on the counter over night without a cork. Then put in cork loosely as a stopper for a couple days. Refrigerated for another couple days.
Went downtown Saturday for her “7th 29th” birthday and she poured me a glass of wine while we were getting ready. Halfway through I said ‘“yo tutz, this is pretty good. What is it?Did you grab some wine or is this one I already bought?”
Needless to say she told me it was the remaining chilean Cab. After all the o2 it did not get worse like I would think mycoderma (even early) would cause. Like a typical young cab, it improved immensely with the oxygen.
Not sure how much to read into that but it sure does give me more hope than I had previously. Will give you one as well just in case it stays the course.

Great to hear it's drinkable, my bet is they turn out fine even after aging, but with the issue coming back several times, I would be doing the same thing.

Kind of annoyed at myself for not going with gut originally. 2017 chilean grape Cab surface growth reappearing multiple times was concerning but I did not suspect mycoderma, being somewhat familiar with it.
Played it safe tho and treated it as such sans the filtering. Bottled and have been periodically drinking before potentially going bad. It’s been 3 months now since 1st sign of trouble. Last taste was the other night and more of the same. A tasty cab lightly oaked that is gradually improving. Decanting, leaving open overnight etc.. all improve the wine. Not sure when to deem this wine as mycoderma free, but I don’t think I’ll be opening any more for a long time.

Back