Lees in secondary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Beck

Reaction score
Doing my first batch of grape wine (Cab Franc), and ended up with a 3 gallon carboy of free run juice, and a half gallon carboy of pressed juice. There’s a lot more sediment/lees than I’ve ever had in the fruit wines I’ve done. Both the half gallon and the three gallon have about an inch and a half of lees settled on the bottom. They’ve been settling for five days.

I know sitting on a large amount of lees can add off flavors, should I rack? If not, how long can they sit on this much before it starts to taste off?

Appreciate any help, sorry for being a noob. :)

As @CDrew said, there's usually a racking not too long after pressing to get the wine off the gross lees. I try to do this in 24-48 hours, but have gone a few days.

Whenever in doubt of racking schedules- I always default to @salcoco “3-3-3” method as a reference point.
After fermented and pressed and in vessels —rough racking schedule
3 days (off the gunk)
3 weeks (*unless under mlf, which would then determine time of this rack)
3 months concurring

I’ve done more than 5 days on gross lees. Wasn’t ideal. But No nasties were detected.

Don’t worry, I racked this afternoon. My auto-siphon was broken so I had to visit the local brewing supplies shop, but it’s all good now.

Had a half glass while racking, didn’t notice any off flavors yet! Definitely still a VERY young tasting wine though.

thanks for the plug. the 3-3-3 method came from bad experience. first time didn't rack quickly had to throw away the wine wine it was so gross. I would add after first rack add k-meta. then again after three months.

thanks for the plug. the 3-3-3 method came from bad experience. first time didn't rack quickly had to throw away the wine wine it was so gross. I would add after first rack add k-meta. then again after three months.

They are doing a Cab Franc, it might be better to hold off on the K-meta if planning on doing MLF although for a 3+ gallon batch it's probably not worth it.

Latest posts

Back