Leaving sanitier in my BB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a new wine kit with a better bottle. Ill be racking into it in week or so. Can I put some C-Brite into it now and leave it there till im ready to rack, then I can finish sanitize it?

i keep little bit of kmeta in all my carboys when empty. pop an airlock on and its ready

xaner
Do you rinse your carboys with water, after you have had the k-meta in them? because it depends which stage you are in, if it was in the stabilizing and degassing stage, you would not have to worry, but if it was rhe secondary fermentation I would think you would not want any k-meta.

Unless im missing something here, all we are taking about is storing the carboy, or in my case, start to get ready for when I will be racking to it. But of course I will sanitize and rinse before racking.

Leave it empty and sanitize before using or leave a small amt of k-meta in under airlock. Then dump. No rinsing.

With glass I leave some k- meta in there with an airlock on to keep it sanitized till net time I need it. I would not do that with C-Brite and Im I dont thin k I would do that with a plastic carboy either. I think to keep it sanitized I would keep some meta solution in a 1 gallon glass jug and put the better bottle on top of that inside out so that the gallon jug was inside the neck of the better bottle because the gses of the sulfite solution do most of the work anyway!

OK, I would need a bottle with a long neck and a wide base. I have campden tables. How many tabs would you use to make up a sanitizer?

xaner
Do you rinse your carboys with water, after you have had the k-meta in them? because it depends which stage you are in, if it was in the stabilizing and degassing stage, you would not have to worry, but if it was rhe secondary fermentation I would think you would not want any k-meta.

After I clean my carboys with easy clean I rinse. then i add just enough Kmeta to splash around, pop on an airlock and it's ready until i need it again. I dont rinse again, just dump out the solution before i use it.

xanxer, you think thats ok with a plastic better bottle? And how many campden tabs are good to put in there.

I dont recommend tablets to make up a sanitizer solution cause it would take quite a lot, you need 3 tble spoons of sulfite tp make up a gallon batch and that comes down to approx 42 tablets to do so. 3.5 tablets is the equivalent of 1/4 tsp, there is 3 tsp's in 1 tble spoon so 3.5 x 4 x 3 = 42.

i haven't noticed anything negative yet. BBs are water retardant so it should repel the smell or chemistry. I think crushing a few tablets and about 8-12 oz of water should work. I'm sure people will chime in if something different should be done.
Buy a bag of Kmeta powder. 5lb bag will last a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will have to put an order it for some. Ordered it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back