Leave the Fermentation area?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbsantos

SkipG
Reaction score
I just added stabilizer and isingglass to my secondary fermenter last night. Is now the time to move it from the Fermentation area? The instructions from my Wine Expert Selection kit dont specify when I should leave the fermentation area which runs about 68 - 73F. Should I move the carboy to the basement (56-58F)now?

NO thats to cold at this stage. How long do you plan on aging?

Tom, since this is a Selection Kit I plan on aging this 1-2 years......will likely sample a bottle or two after 6-8 months.

OK then give it a month before you bulk age in cooler temps. I would rack again before you put it in your cellar.

Tim V from WE has specifically stated that there is only one temperature mentioned in their instructions, and he recommends that the wine stay at that temperature through the clearing period.

In your case, I would keep it in the fermentation area for 2-4 weeks after adding the isinglass, then rack off the sediment before moving to the basement for bulk aging.

Personally I wish that I had two areas like that.

Steve

Thanks CP. FYI my current Fermentation area is my dining room table......you probably have one too! :)

Mine is in the living room and "family"/den"
Yea I need 2 rooms for when I ferment LOL :dg

Well I have two rooms for my wine making. One is a small room in the basement that I can usually set to a specific temperature (right now about 22C or 72F). I have a second 'room' that I have no control over the temperature. Right now it's probably about 5C (41F), but in the summer it was more like 20C (68F). So, it seems that I was missing having two 'controllable' rooms.

When I first started making wine, we had a little cubbyhole in the kitchen that could hold two batches at a time, and a large cool basement with some nice usable shelves. But that was pre 2001.

Steve

Latest posts

Back