Learning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fozz

Reaction score
I have to say, I thought I knew a fair bit about the basics of homebrew. How wrong was I, already I have learned new things, such as degassing or freezing used pulp for further batches of wine. I am so glad I have joined this forum.

Among the many things you will learn is that conditions can vary so much from one batch to another. Things like temperatures, Sugar content in fruit, and even water content, all play into what it takes to produce a consistently good batch of wine. At two years and 20 batches, I certainly still learn something with every batch and I expect that won't change soon.

Not casting stones at grape wine makers, but when your wine is made from various fruits, the characteristics vary so much from Blueberries, Peaches, Plums, Apples. With Grapes the variations are far fewer from one variety to another. With fruit - No one formula works, you have to consider the characteristics of each fruit. Welcome and good luck to you.

Last edited:
I shall be getting some index cards for my wine making with all information written on them and hopefully recognising some common features such as location of fruits, time of year and temperatures hopefully this will give me some ideas of consistency.

Your best helps are two places - Reading here on this forum (Specially the Country Fruit Wine Threads) and Your own notes. Keep copious notes. What you did, what you saw, what you tasted and even what you smelled. That can guide you in the future as to what is "normal" and what is different from expected. And most of ALL - Patience - you can never have too much of that. Your best wine won't be ready in 3 months or even 9 months. Figure on a year until your wines are going to really reward your palette.

Thank you Scooter. I'd better make sure I've got plenty of pens/pencils in the house then.
One thing I will pay particular attention to is location of fruits, my wife has done some research into allergies with foods and where it is grown. Acids and minerals in the soil can make a big difference to people's reactions to certain foods, so I am well aware of variations this could make to the end result in my wines.

Thank you Scooter. I'd better make sure I've got plenty of pens/pencils in the house then.
One thing I will pay particular attention to is location of fruits, my wife has done some research into allergies with foods and where it is grown. Acids and minerals in the soil can make a big difference to people's reactions to certain foods, so I am well aware of variations this could make to the end result in my wines.

If you get that detailed the weather can affect the fruit too. Personally, as I see it the soil, if appropriate for the plant/tree/vine etc isn't going to affect a wine as much as how you produce the wine, additives used etc.

Latest posts

Back