Learning to grow vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregorski

Junior
Reaction score
Helo Everyone,
This is probably not the right section of the forum, and probly not even the right forum. If that's the case please let me know where I could find more info about the topic. Anyway, here is my question: Within the next couple of years I am planning on buying a small vineyard, probably in France, probably in Beaujolais region (I have a EU citizenship). Before I do that though, I'd like to learn a bit about wine-making, and also check if that's something I want to spend the rest of my life doing. My idea is to work in a vineard somewhere in south eastern France for couple of months a year during the next few years, and learn whatever I can while doing it. Has something like this been done? Of course it has, but how do I go about it? Are there any online resources? Is there another forum that people exchange ideas about the topic. Any information is welcome.
cheers,
Gregorski

Gregorski, There is a lot of information out there from colleges across the country. UC Davis is the one I lean on, just a wealth of information. The most applicable advice I get is from professionals that are actually doing it locally. I have not been shunned by a single one when I have reached out for advice. The information I have received is for my specific areas climate and soil conditions. You didn't state the size of your vineyard but unless you plan on having it managed by someone else be ready for a lot of manual work. I only have 175 vines but it can keep you busy and there are specific cycles certain work must be done (spraying, weed management, netting, watering, canopy management, irrigation and harvest). Vineyard work can be consuming especially if your like me and still working, by very rewarding. I've found winemaking to be just a joy and adventure even though I have made more than my share of errors along the way.

Sorry, not really answering your question.

But as an American citizen who bought vineyards in Hungary, why France? And why Beaujolais? Europe has so many interesting wine regions. If you speak French, that would be a good reason to intern there to avoid language barriers... if you intern in Europe. I say "if" as from your info page, you seem to be in Honolulu. So you could also intern in Washington, Oregon or California vineyards, which are closer.

That is, the basics of vineyard management are pretty much the same everywhere. The local specifics can vary, but to start you can learn the basics anywhere (and how much work it is). One need not start in France. Hope this helps.

But as an American citizen who bought vineyards in Hungary, why France? And why Beaujolais? Europe has so many interesting wine regions. If you speak French, that would be a good reason to intern there to avoid language barriers... if you intern in Europe. I say "if" as from your info page, you seem to be in Honolulu. So you could also intern in Washington, Oregon or California vineyards, which are closer.

That is, the basics of vineyard management are pretty much the same everywhere. The local specifics can vary, but to start you can learn the basics anywhere (and how much work it is). One need not start in France. Hope this helps.
Why France and Beaujolais? Well, for personal reasons -

Yes, my French is definitely better than my Hungarian. I visited Hungary couple of years ago and was trying to learn a bit of Hungarian - it was hopeless, or should have said I was hopeless. Why France and Beaujolais? I just like that country and French people (!?); also have some family in Geneva - which is almost in Beaujolais. I am also thinking about Poland, which with warming climate becomes more and more vine and wine friendly. And yes, if I cannot find anything in France, I'll definitely put Oregon on my radar. Tell me more about your vineyard in Hungary - do you live there or move back and forth? What grape varietal?
cheers,
Greg

Why France and Beaujolais? Well, for personal reasons -

Good answer.

I was just curious.

Same for me... why Hungary? Simple: My wife is Hungarian. And have lived in Europe full time for over two decades -- First in Switzerland and now in Hungary. :)

Actually, she is a dual national with both Hungarian and Swiss citizenship. It is complicated --- but the short version is she and her parents escaped Communist Hungary when she was 9 years old and ended up in Switzerland. And due to the national Swiss multilingual character, she speaks not only Hungarian, but also English, German and French**.

I have a web site, below in my "signature", about our vineyards and the grape varieties we grow. Which I will repeat here (and which I just realized, I need to update):

Artisanal Viticulture & Fine Winemaking at http://the-verecund-vigneron.com

** To be honest, I do not understand a word of French... but when my wife speaks French... I melt. I understand why it is the "language of love"...

Latest posts

Back