learning sugar and sg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
if a recipe calls for 10# sugar, but you're using a fruit that may be higher than average in sugar AND you add grape juice concentrate, what sg number would you need to stop at before getting to the 10 lb. mark?

It really depends on what you'd like the alcohol content to finish at. There are a lot of factors that can influence your alcohol content, but generally, the higher your initial SG, the more potential for alcohol production. When I get a recipe that calls for X pounds of sugar, or X cups of sugar, I always start with less than the recipe amount and test my S.G. If I need more sugar to raise the SG, I add it.

thanks minn, that's what i thought. the first two batches i tried to follow directions (except for more blueberries). with this peach, i'm trying to listen to you guys and go by my s.g. readings and not just the recipe. the must is a little warm, so i will check again later. (it's currently 1.060 @ 78 degrees) i've added 5 lbs. sugar currently (instead of the 10 recipe called for) but these peaches were deliciously sweet (frozen first, then thawed) and i've added 2 cans of frozen (thawed) white grape juice.

NEVER add sugar blindly unless you get a gravity reading.
Download http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/winecalc.html
And figure amt of sugar to add.
All fruits sugar content varies by the farm. So, each batch will have a different addition of sugar to add.
Remember... for fruit wines no higher that 1.085 starting gravity!

Making wine requires patience. This is for the initial makings as well as the aging process. It is usually better to air on the lighter side, you know measure 3 times and cut once unlike me sometimes that measures once and cuts three times.

Double check everything you are about to do before you do it. Did I grab the right chemical? Is it a teaspoon or a tablespoon? Some actions are permenant and can not be rectified. Some you can fix.

Remember that gut feeling immediately following a mistake and remember that for next time.

Wine Calc can help you as well as your hydrometer scale.

i looove that wine calc. simple for a poor mathmetician, lol
it wound up at 7.5 # to bring s.g. to 1.080 with temp. 74 degrees.
added pectin enzyme this morning and will pitch yeast tonight.
going with cote de blancs. both that and the 1118 had high recommendations for peach wine on several charts.
so what exactly would have/might have happened had i just added the whole 10#? stuck fermentation possibly?

NEVER add sugar blindly unless you get a gravity reading.
Download http://www.xs4all.nl/~mpesgens/thwp/winecalc.html
And figure amt of sugar to add.
All fruits sugar content varies by the farm. So, each batch will have a different addition of sugar to add.
Remember... for fruit wines no higher that 1.085 starting gravity!

Completely agree - never add sugar without knowing your what your SG is. Sugar level from the fruits/concentrates can vary from batch to batch so make sure you know our SG before adding sugar.

Once i get my SG - if it is low - i generally add a pound of sugar at a time until i get to my desired SG.

Fruits i go 1.085
grapes i go 1.095

i looove that wine calc. simple for a poor mathmetician, lol
it wound up at 7.5 # to bring s.g. to 1.080 with temp. 74 degrees.
added pectin enzyme this morning and will pitch yeast tonight.
going with cote de blancs. both that and the 1118 had high recommendations for peach wine on several charts.
so what exactly would have/might have happened had i just added the whole 10#? stuck fermentation possibly?
You would have had high alcohol which would have masked the flavor

YEP we speak thru experience, personal or know someone who did it. (mostly thru other people who messed up :i)

Back