Leaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've opened a few bottles of wine and every cork is looking like this. They are #9 vertsense off Amazon.
I let the bottle stand upright for 3 or 4 days before laying on their sides.
Not sure what's up.

Attachments

• 20220918_155019.jpg
    20220918_155019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
I have some questions:

In the picture, are you holding the cork upside down?
Are these "Vintersense" corks? You entered "Vertsense" but I found the "Vintersense" on Amazon.
How long have they been in the bottles?
Is the wine leaking out of the bottles or just up part of the cork?
Does the wine taste all right?

From what see on Amazon, they appear to be a good cork (i.e., all-natural cork, #9 and 1.75" long). It may be a non-issue.

It appears the cork is not sealed tight in the bottle -- this could be the cork, or it could the be shape of the inside of the bottle neck. I'd lean towards the cork not sealing, as it should expand to fill the bottle tightly.

Time in bottle is important -- if it's been years, there may not be a problem, although I'd not buy those corks again.

I have some questions:

In the picture, are you holding the cork upside down?
Are these "Vintersense" corks? You entered "Vertsense" but I found the "Vintersense" on Amazon.
How long have they been in the bottles?
Is the wine leaking out of the bottles or just up part of the cork?
Does the wine taste all right?

From what see on Amazon, they appear to be a good cork (i.e., all-natural cork, #9 and 1.75" long). It may be a non-issue.
They have been corked about 2 months and that is the end that was inside the bottle

It appears the cork is not sealed tight in the bottle -- this could be the cork, or it could the be shape of the inside of the bottle neck. I'd lean towards the cork not sealing, as it should expand to fill the bottle tightly.

Time in bottle is important -- if it's been years, there may not be a problem, although I'd not buy those corks again.
I'll probably only buy widgetco corks from now on

So I've opened a few bottles of wine and every cork is looking like this. They are #9 vertsense off Amazon.
I let the bottle stand upright for 3 or 4 days before laying on their sides.
Not sure what's up.
One more reason why I don't put much faith in anything from Amazon unless it's some cheap item I can't find anywhere else. They could be cheap knockoffs or they could be several years old, Read some of the 1 star reviews of these on Amazon.

One more reason why I don't put much faith in anything from Amazon unless it's some cheap item I can't find anywhere else. They could be cheap knockoffs or they could be several years old, Read some of the 1 star reviews of these on Amazon.
Yup. Look at the seller as much as the product.

Amazon doesn't care as long as its making a profit. About 10 years ago I purchased a Samsung tablet for my wife. It looked fine, but would not charge. I contacted Samsung, jumped through a bunch of hoops, and was informed the tablet was a fake. I called Amazon and they issued an RMA and full refund, and customer service was blase about it. I ordered a real Samsung from a known vendor. Two weeks later I checked -- the fake vendor was still selling on Amazon ....

Last edited:
They have been corked about 2 months and that is the end that was inside the bottle
I got a package of natural corks among the loot when I purchased a used basket press in 2019. The corks were unopened, but appeared old -- I used them for a batch I expected to use up fairly quickly. 4 years later I'm down to 3 bottles -- the staining on the corks resembles yours, but not as bad. From this I suspect your corks are very old.

Yup. Look at the seller as much as the product.

Amazon doesn't care as long as its making a profit. About 10 years ago I purchased a Samsung tablet for my wife. It looked fine, but would not charge. I contacted Samsung, jumped through a bunch of hoops, and was informed the tablet was a fake. I called Amazon and they issued an RMA and full refund, and customer service was blase about it. I ordered a real Samsung from a known vendor. Two weeks later I checked -- the fake vendor was still selling on Amazon ....
I've noticed when reading reviews for various products on Amazon that there are plenty of companies that won't honor a warranty if you purchased their product on Amazon. That's because they no not sell or authorize their products to be sold on Amazon because of this problem.

I've noticed when reading reviews for various products on Amazon that there are plenty of companies that won't honor a warranty if you purchased their product on Amazon. That's because they no not sell or authorize their products to be sold on Amazon because of this problem.
OOOHHHH?? I did not know that -- thanks for the tip!

I think that Amazon is like the wild west. There are good companies and bad companies. I have received defective products from some, and others have been very responsive and promptly resolved complaints. Amazon has some of its own brand products, but mostly they act as a middle man for other sellers. When I purchase something on Amazon, I try to look at the seller (not the manufacturer) to see if they seem reliable.

The other issue, which is not limited to Amazon, is quality control. With tight profit margins, quality control is often left to the consumers. They ship it out, and we do the testing. If you receive a defective product, a good company will promptly send you a replacement. But there will still be defective products.

Guess it pays to read old post. My Amazon natural corks leaked as well. From now on I just purchase from my local supply store. In 30 plus years everytime I've had issues they have gone out of thier way to correct the issue. Thank you Listermann's!

Latest posts

Back