Leaf Hoppers already

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStimulator

Reaction score
Ok so this is my fourth leafing and I had them last fall only in my Viognier row. Now I was out pruning the roses by the rows and I have them hoping all over my weeds and roses that are just budding out. They are in and around all my vines (26) Any advice on what todo?

Panic! I thought I could ignore them the first two years. Last year they were bad enough to cause poor ripening on some vines. :ft

I've been fighting them for three years. I've tried to be nice and used various organic oils. As it is early, I'd clean out below the rows. Supposedly the buggers nest in the litter on the ground. If you spray now, you might cut them off. Typically we get three hatches a summer in Washington. Lots of nasty sprays at HD and Lowe's.

This spring I'm raking out the bottom of the rows and I'm going to spray with a systemic soil drench, Imidacloprid. I hate the idea of what it is going to do to the bugs in the soil, but WSU says it isn't too bad and after 30 days nothing in the grapes. Hopefully compost will help build it back up.

As a back up I've also purchased some PyGanic to spray. It is labeled organic, derived from chrysanthemums. It is hard on bees though, so that is why I'm starting with the systemic. Orchard neighbors wouldn't appreciate an attack on the bees.

You are way ahead of me, I still don't have bud break, thank goodness it was 34 yesterday morning.

Keep me posted on what you do and what works!

Johny99

I was really hoping you would respond, I figured you would be in the know. The roses are budding and the vines are still fairly dormant as we too have been hovering around freezing at night. They seem to be pretty bad and I have rocks by my vines bases. I hate the though of insecticide, later in the year I am gonna buy lady bugs too. Hopefully they can work on the leafhoppers, I too had issues with ripening.

image.jpg

Last edited:
That's right. I forgot you had the rock mulch. I'd avoid messing with that, it is way too nice.

I found this on extension.org

Grape leafhopper is a pest that lends itself well to biological or mechanical control methods. You can use green lacewing(predatory) nymphs. Place 3,000 to 8,000 lacewing eggs per acre in the vineyard to control leafhoppers. You can achieve some control by pulling off the basal leaves after egg-laying activity but before nymphs reach the fifth instar (near berry set).

Several organic alternatives are available for controlling this pest. Use diatomaceous earth laced with pyrethins, or a one to two percent solution of M-Pede with 1 quart of natural oil, or apply Surround® WP throughout the critical period to deter feeding.

Several traditional insecticide choices are available. In areas with heavy leafhopper populations, you might want to use systemic materials (e.g., imidacloprid) rather than contact insecticides. Control broadleaf weeds and grasses during May and June, when leafhoppers move into vineyards, to help reduce populations of these pests.

I tried the leaf pulling and Naeem oil. I typically have tons of ladybugs too. I haven't tried the green lacewings. Maybe I'll give tat a go this year as well.

Good luck!

BlueStimulator & Johny99,

I had a pretty big infestation of leafhoppers which negatively affected the ripening of our 3rd leaf Cab Sauv & Petite Sirahs. First year we've harvested.

I've used ladybugs for 2 years and green lacewings this year to try and control them. Neither made any noticeable difference at all.

I too would prefer to go "organic" if possible, but it seems like that's just not going to work if I want healthy vines / grapes at harvest.

I'm looking into using imidacloprid for next year, with a single application just after bud break.

Looks like Bayer Advanced Fruit, Citrus and Vegetable Insect Control Concentrate is an option for smaller / backyard vineyards.

Did either of you use it (imidacloprid) this year and if so, what were the results?

I sprayed two times following the Imidacloprids directions even waited a week or two longer. No leaf hoppers but now Powdery Mildew got me, living and learning in Central Washington

Be glad your not in eastern Pa, we are dealing with a super destructive invasive pest called the Spotted Lantern Fly. It decimates grape vines. My buddy has a large amount of grapevines and his yield is zero this year.

Be glad your not in eastern Pa, we are dealing with a super destructive invasive pest called the Spotted Lantern Fly. It decimates grape vines. My buddy has a large amount of grapevines and his yield is zero this year.
Looks like PA is utilizing another, lesser used, neonicotinoid called dinotefuran:
https://extension.psu.edu/what-to-do-if-you-find-spotted-lanternfly

Also: Neonicotinoids, pyrethrins, and organophosphates are among the chemical insecticides effective against spotted lanternfly.
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=15861

Something to consider for next year.

Latest posts

Back