WineXpert LE21 French Marselan Red Wine Recipe Kit - Win-expert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this kit on sale (I'm sure they're clearing out inventory), and wondered if anyone here has done this kit. The only thing that surprised me was that it didn't come with grape skins since most high-end kits I've gotten come with them.
Should I tweak it any or just stick with the directions? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

It depends on your goal, do you want to make a Marselan wine or do you want to use it as a base to fit your taste (and, IMHO, turn it into something else)?

I have done it (without tweaks), still ageing in the carboy but looks like it is going to be a nice Marselan wine.

BTW as of late, Winexpert LE "only" have skin packs in one or two of their three reds. Can't say I have been disappointed by the non skin kits.

It depends on your goal, do you want to make a Marselan wine or do you want to use it as a base to fit your taste (and, IMHO, turn it into something else)?

I have done it (without tweaks), still ageing in the carboy but looks like it is going to be a nice Marselan wine.

BTW as of late, Winexpert LE "only" have skin packs in one or two of their three reds. Can't say I have been disappointed by the non skin kits.
That's good to know that you've enjoyed the Winexpert kits without skins. I'll just follow the instructions and keep it simple! Thanks.

Just got this kit on sale (I'm sure they're clearing out inventory), and wondered if anyone here has done this kit. The only thing that surprised me was that it didn't come with grape skins since most high-end kits I've gotten come with them.
Should I tweak it any or just stick with the directions? I'd appreciate your thoughts.
I made the kit in June 2022 and it has been bulk ageing in the carboy since July 2022. My deviations were just to bulk age and skip on all of the fining agents (no bentonite, kieselsol, or chitosan) and sorbate. I also added the wine yeast first (RC 212 I think) and gave it a 5 day head start before adding the champagne yeast (EC 1118) as the kit had both and I figured I'd better better flavors from the wine yeast but wanted to also get the wine as bone dry as possible. I also let it primary with a brew belt on for a few weeks after I added the champagne yeast and sealed the primary.

After my last rack over a month ago I tasted it before adding sulfites, and decided to also add some tannin and medium toast French oak cubes. I just re-tasted it today and am really happy with its taste, feel like the tannin and oak is just right now and I could bottle this at any time.

I'm not super familiar with Marselan but did buy a commercial bottle from Uruguay of all places, which I enjoyed a few months ago. I fell for buying this as I loved the Marselan was created from Grenache and Cabernet Sauv. which sounded like a really interesting mix. I can kind of sense that in the taste but I'd say it leans more to the Grenache, which is a plus for me and seems to go along with this being one which did not need a skins pack and one which I can enjoy on the earlier side.

I am not getting 'kit taste' and I think that getting this bone dry and adding the bit of extra oak and tannin helped. This was my first/only WineXpert after doing 4 RJS kits and about 10 FWKs and also picking grapes the last two harvests, would definitely try another. Curious how much this was discounted and where if you don't mind sharing, I know I saw the Carignan-Garnacha one from Spain from last year for $111 recently, but shipping was insanely high on that one so I did not bite. This year's limited editions don't excite me so much but the Aglianico-Barbera from Italy with skins could be interesting.

I made the kit in June 2022 and it has been bulk ageing in the carboy since July 2022. My deviations were just to bulk age and skip on all of the fining agents (no bentonite, kieselsol, or chitosan) and sorbate. I also added the wine yeast first (RC 212 I think) and gave it a 5 day head start before adding the champagne yeast (EC 1118) as the kit had both and I figured I'd better better flavors from the wine yeast but wanted to also get the wine as bone dry as possible. I also let it primary with a brew belt on for a few weeks after I added the champagne yeast and sealed the primary.

After my last rack over a month ago I tasted it before adding sulfites, and decided to also add some tannin and medium toast French oak cubes. I just re-tasted it today and am really happy with its taste, feel like the tannin and oak is just right now and I could bottle this at any time.

I'm not super familiar with Marselan but did buy a commercial bottle from Uruguay of all places, which I enjoyed a few months ago. I fell for buying this as I loved the Marselan was created from Grenache and Cabernet Sauv. which sounded like a really interesting mix. I can kind of sense that in the taste but I'd say it leans more to the Grenache, which is a plus for me and seems to go along with this being one which did not need a skins pack and one which I can enjoy on the earlier side.

I am not getting 'kit taste' and I think that getting this bone dry and adding the bit of extra oak and tannin helped. This was my first/only WineXpert after doing 4 RJS kits and about 10 FWKs and also picking grapes the last two harvests, would definitely try another. Curious how much this was discounted and where if you don't mind sharing, I know I saw the Carignan-Garnacha one from Spain from last year for $111 recently, but shipping was insanely high on that one so I did not bite. This year's limited editions don't excite me so much but the Aglianico-Barbera from Italy with skins could be interesting.
Thanks for the great details, @Gilmango That's very helpful. I bought this kit from Home Brew Ohio on 12/21/21. Price was $115 with free shipping. I like your idea of the French oak and a some tannin.

Edit: saw on one website that they retailed for $165 when they first came out. Not sure how they were priced on other sites.

Last edited:
Well done! This is the way to do it, at least IMHO, taste it before you tweak it to your taste. But of course, anyone is free to do whatever they want with their kits. (but if you want a cab, don't buy a pinot noir)

I have had a quite a few bottles of French Marselan wine and they have all been fruity, medium body wines with soft tannins. Most of the bottles I have found has been unoaked. So I would expect a kit wine maker to produce a kit that fits within the characteristics of a Marselan wine, not a "tweaked" Marselan to please those who loves a bold wine (and who doesn't).

Here’s what I think , 16. Of blackberries
Simmered down, one teaspoon of wine tannins and 1/2 cup of any oak in the primary.
Once you get to the secondary another teaspoon of tannins and sc1/2 cup
Of oak chips any type .
Make sure your starting ABV is at least 13% , now you have a wine with good body and depth

Latest posts

Back