LE lights project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may sound weird asking for a question like this on a wine making forum but here it goes.

Anyone here has good knowledge on the different chips and technologies of LED strips, such as WS2815 12v or SK6812 5v/12v, etc?

Thinking about buying directly from a vendor in China, well, I guess ALL light strip come from China :) for a room about 44ft around and the other about 74ft.

you may be surprised, with that being said if you order anything from China you may need to add 6 months to a year lead time. Add to that the state that the ports are in here in America it could be longer. As for information on lighting here is a helpful site, Everything You Need to Know About LED Strip Lights | Waveform Lighting. Hope it helps.

There is only about a million different LED light strips in various lengths available for immediate purchase from Amazon.......

It may sound weird asking for a question like this on a wine making forum but here it goes.

Anyone here has good knowledge on the different chips and technologies of LED strips, such as WS2815 12v or SK6812 5v/12v, etc?

Thinking about buying directly from a vendor in China, well, I guess ALL light strip come from China :) for a room about 44ft around and the other about 74ft.

you may be surprised, with that being said if you order anything from China you may need to add 6 months to a year lead time. Add to that the state that the ports are in here in America it could be longer. As for information on lighting here is a helpful site, Everything You Need to Know About LED Strip Lights | Waveform Lighting. Hope it helps.

Ive been thinking about the lead time but I am not sure is that long based on what I see on Aliexpress and other outlets like eBay.
There’s tons of info out there and I zeroed in to those I have in mind like the ws2815.

I think I may have already made up my mind on it, I was looking for personal experiences on these types of individually addressable lights.

And maybe folks think I'm over thinking this, but this is for a new apartment I'm buying and getting by year end in the DR and I'd like to install something that could last for a long time worry-free.
Some things in consideration:

-5v versus 12v versus 24v
-Individually addressable lights : RGB versus RGBW
-Voltage drop
-Durability
-heat control
-smart LED WIFI control
-series versus parallel install
-how many LEDs/meter
-controlling everything as a single scene through an app when using multiple strips connected together
-cost
-etc, etc

I know there are thousands of LED types out there, but still :cool:

Does your new apartment in the DR not come with lights pre-installed?

And maybe folks think I'm over thinking this, but this is for a new apartment I'm buying and getting by year end in the DR and I'd like to install something that could last for a long time worry-free.
Some things in consideration:

-5v versus 12v versus 24v
-Individually addressable lights : RGB versus RGBW
-Voltage drop
-Durability
-heat control
-smart LED WIFI control
-series versus parallel install
-how many LEDs/meter
-controlling everything as a single scene through an app when using multiple strips connected together
-cost
-etc, etc

I know there are thousands of LED types out there, but still :cool:

I have worked with the WS2812 in making LED lighting and helping a friend craft Halloween props. Looking at both datasheets for WS2815 and SK6812, their behavior is similar, with the SK6812 including white LEDs along with RGB. The WS2815 is strictly RGB. Both LED driver chips are flip-flop shift register design with some signal retiming included for downstream drivers. If you are trying to create a video display, the timing diagram and refresh rate are important.

I am not sure of your end application. SK6812 will give a wider color gamut because of the white allowing the colors to be tuned in both hue and saturation.
If your main goal is to light up a long strip, and you say 74ft is a possiblity, use the 12V version of the strips, and you can power the strips from both ends also

I have worked with the WS2812 in making LED lighting and helping a friend craft Halloween props. Looking at both datasheets for WS2815 and SK6812, their behavior is similar, with the SK6812 including white LEDs along with RGB. The WS2815 is strictly RGB. Both LED driver chips are flip-flop shift register design with some signal retiming included for downstream drivers. If you are trying to create a video display, the timing diagram and refresh rate are important.

I am not sure of your end application. SK6812 will give a wider color gamut because of the white allowing the colors to be tuned in both hue and saturation.
If your main goal is to light up a long strip, and you say 74ft is a possiblity, use the 12V version of the strips, and you can power the strips from both ends also

Thanks, helpful.

Since I have 2 spaces, the other being 44ft in length, I've been bouncing back/forth with them. I found both have advantages of each other, the SK6812 is RGBW and the WS2815 is only RGB, but the WS2815 is a "breakpoint resume" as they call it, if one LED fails the rest of the strip will continue to work. The SK6812 is not.

I am now coming to some conclusions after reading a lot, but I am now debating if going with the WS2815 12v for the 74ft room or instead a similar but in 24v called GS8206. It looks like when using 12v strips you need to inject power every 5 meters. With the24v strip you power at both ends.

Anyhow, thanks.

a "breakpoint resume" as they call it, if one LED fails the rest of the strip will continue to work. The SK6812 is not.
That's a cool feature, if you are buying LED strips and don't mind a bad pixel or two in your application. The signal will route around one bad chip. Two in a row will break the chain however

It sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you! I love LEDs, especially the creative video displays made from them. One of my favorite companies is Monkeylectric. They make lighting systems for the spokes of bicycles.

Thanks, helpful.

Since I have 2 spaces, the other being 44ft in length, I've been bouncing back/forth with them. I found both have advantages of each other, the SK6812 is RGBW and the WS2815 is only RGB, but the WS2815 is a "breakpoint resume" as they call it, if one LED fails the rest of the strip will continue to work. The SK6812 is not.

I am now coming to some conclusions after reading a lot, but I am now debating if going with the WS2815 12v for the 74ft room or instead a similar but in 24v called GS8206. It looks like when using 12v strips you need to inject power every 5 meters. With the24v strip you power at both ends.

Anyhow, thanks.

Well, I've decided that the only way for me to put this to rest is to come down and stay at your condo and see for myself, when it is done. :)

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 2.43.01 PM.png

Latest posts

Back