WineXpert LE Blanc de Noir fermentation recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexatman

Junior
Reaction score
I want to use the lalvin QA23 for this kit and the sauvignon blanc rose. What is the ideal temperature of fermentation for the wine to develop a nice fruity profil? Any advice?

They reccomend 14-18 C, so ideally low to mid 60's F. I have problems getting my temps that low here in Alabama but have had great results up to 68F. It tends to get a little more aggressive above that temp.

one method I have used successfully is as follows. ferment the kit in a carboy. place the carboy in a water bath, and cut a towel with an opening over the neck of the carboy so that it covers the entire carboy but the neck is still exposed. place frozen water bottles in the water bath, also periodically wet the towel. aim a fan onto the towel. the continual evaporation will keep the carboy wine in the 60-65 degree range. change bottles out every 12 hours or less.

I used D47 on the Chardonnay this year and real happy with how it turned out. It was fermented in an air conditioned box (65-69 degrees) with frozen "ice bombs" rotated into the must. Did mlf, and I think it is super, but we'll see what the judges have to say at the State Fair.

I want to use the lalvin QA23 for this kit and the sauvignon blanc rose. What is the ideal temperature of fermentation for the wine to develop a nice fruity profil? Any advice?

I love QA23 yeast, I like to ferment in my cold basement where the temp in the winter is typically high 50s or low 60s, when too cold I place the heat belt on/off depending on the temp of the must.

Have a little bit of Ferm K as I've found that this yeast may feel stressed with my low temps, specially when the SG is around 1.040

All in all, you'll like it, very low foaming..!! :db

I plan to use it on my Blanc De Noir which just arrived.

one method I have used successfully is as follows. ferment the kit in a carboy. place the carboy in a water bath, and cut a towel with an opening over the neck of the carboy so that it covers the entire carboy but the neck is still exposed. place frozen water bottles in the water bath, also periodically wet the towel. aim a fan onto the towel. the continual evaporation will keep the carboy wine in the 60-65 degree range. change bottles out every 12 hours or less.

Does this mean your fermenting in a 6.5G carboy?

love my fermentation chamber....chest freezer with an InkBird controller...will hold any temp you set within one degree...very much plug and play.

used the Qa23 for a Chardonnay, a sav blanc, and have gwurwurstiminer (Can't say it can't spell, I hope it tastes good)....The Chard and Sav are really nice, nice fruits, clean...the Gwuminer thing is still in secondary, but very promising.

love my fermentation chamber....chest freezer with an InkBird controller...will hold any temp you set within one degree...very much plug and play.

used the Qa23 for a Chardonnay, a sav blanc, and have gwurwurstiminer (Can't say it can't spell, I hope it tastes good)....The Chard and Sav are really nice, nice fruits, clean...the Gwuminer thing is still in secondary, but very promising.

I have one that I use for beer fermentation, never thought about using it for my wine. I get a fair amount of condensation/mouisture even with a EvaDry E-500 dehumidifier. Do you have this problem? Also what do you use for a primary fermentor? I have been using a 10G Rubbermaid Brute with a towel over the top.

I have one that I use for beer fermentation, never thought about using it for my wine. I get a fair amount of condensation/mouisture even with a EvaDry E-500 dehumidifier. Do you have this problem? Also what do you use for a primary fermentor? I have been using a 10G Rubbermaid Brute with a towel over the top.

i used the typical white plastic bucket. no condensation problem even though this is humid south Texas. I keep the lid on but not snapped down so I can stir.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I feel you pain with the humidity as I am in south Alabama.

Just started this WE LE Blanc De Noir, don't recall a white wine kit with an SG of 1.100 out of the gate without any sugar addition, if this wine finishes at least with 0.996 then we're looking at roughly 13.65 to 14% ABV.

Pitched QA23 yeast.

EDIT: it is more like 1.096

..::

Last edited:
So, 1.096 is your official starting reading? Did you add any of the F-pac?

So, 1.096 is your official starting reading? Did you add any of the F-pac?

Yes, it seemed to settle at 1.096, I'm good with that.
No, I am leaving the entire f-pack for back sweetening since it is a small f-pack, as a matter of fact seems to be the same size as the CC Passport Australia Riesling I just made and bulk aging, with f-pack it came up to just exactly 1.000 and it is at a nice spot for me.

So hoping this Blanc De Noir ends AF in the 0.994, if so the f-pack will compliment the off-dry sweetness I want. :fsh

If i ant to make it dry, can i put half the F-pack in the primary and the other half when i transfer. Is it to much sorbate for the yeast?

If i ant to make it dry, can i put half the F-pack in the primary and the other half when i transfer. Is it to much sorbate for the yeast?

If you want to make it dry, don't add sorbate or any of the f-pack post fermentation. If you want it just not as dry, follow John's instructions.

Last edited:
But is it to much for the yeast to ferment properly if i had all the F-pack during fermentation?

But is it to much for the yeast to ferment properly if i had all the F-pack during fermentation?

Not likely. Many here put at least half of it in, and some even throw the whole thing in there.

If you're worried about it, you could always start with half, then throw the remainder in a day or two after fermentation really gets kicking. I'm not even sure exactly what's in those f-packs. There may or may not be any sulfite or sorbate at all.

@Boatboy24 did you start yours yet, or still waiting in the lineup?

Still waiting. Hoping to bottle a WS Amarone this weekend, which will free up some needed carboy space. I currently have the Vermentino, Cab Sauv Rose, and this all waiting. Not sure which one I'll do first.

Latest posts

Back