WineXpert LE 2012 Argentine Malbec Bonarda

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millwright01

pass the wine please
Reaction score
Picked up my special ordered kit today. I can't wait to get this mixed on tomorrow. I have really been looking forward to getting this kit. Anyone else get this kit yet? I always wondered if we get ours earlier or later than other centers.

Picked up my special ordered kit today. I can't wait to get this mixed on tomorrow. I have really been looking forward to getting this kit. Anyone else get this kit yet? I always wondered if we get ours earlier or later than other centers.

According to Fed-Ex tracking number mine will be here tomorrow!!

RR

This is now in the primary with no tweaks. It will be interesting to see how this compares with Cellar Craft's Agentina Malbec given CC's kit comes with a grape pack.

Last edited:
Started Mine last night. It is just now staring to get working. I am very excited. Malbec is one of my fav wines to drink. This is the first 'high end' kit for me also.

RR

What inspired you to try the Bonardo? I have had one commercial bottle - it was okay, but nothing too special. What is it supposed to be like? Merlot? Carmenere? Malbec?

For me, I went to a WE sponsored wine tasting with wines that were suppose to represent their limited editions. I wish I could remember the exact wine they served but I quite enjoyed it. Actually it was the only kit that I purchased from their 2013 limited edition series.

In the end, I can only hope that it turns into something special.

Just had my first "taste" out of the carboy (started this early-mid January) - wow!!!! what a fabulous taste already. I'm very impressed. I did top up with a commercial Malbec. Unfortunately, it's not clearing like it should - maybe I'm being too impatient but my other (cheaper) WE kits have cleared very quickly and definitely by this stage. Any suggestions to get this clear? I don't do bulk aging (yet) - I'm still trying to stock up so that I can start aging my wine like it should be (plus, I have 5 kits on right now and I need my carboys!). I don't plan on drinking this kit for a year, so any suggestions on clearing would be appreciated - thanks!

ann8 said:
Just had my first "taste" out of the carboy (started this early-mid January) - wow!!!! what a fabulous taste already. I'm very impressed. I did top up with a commercial Malbec. Unfortunately, it's not clearing like it should - maybe I'm being too impatient but my other (cheaper) WE kits have cleared very quickly and definitely by this stage. Any suggestions to get this clear? I don't do bulk aging (yet) - I'm still trying to stock up so that I can start aging my wine like it should be (plus, I have 5 kits on right now and I need my carboys!). I don't plan on drinking this kit for a year, so any suggestions on clearing would be appreciated - thanks!

Ann, is a off dry? I enjoy a Malbec but one with a full mouth feel and off dry. Was curious about this kit and was curious about your initial thoughts.

Did the kit include any clarifying agents (Chitosan or Isinglass)? If so, have you used them? How long since you added them? 3 weeks is a pretty short timeframe to expect a a kit like this (with a high TDS - total dissolved solids) to be cleared. Patience is what you need most. And maybe some more carboys. :p

jrvernon, right now is still hard to tell - it is fairly full bodied, but I only have my lower-end kits to compare it to, and where it's not cleared yet it might be too early to tell. The taste was pretty special - not too dry at all. Can you still get it in your area? If you like Malbec, I'd say go for it - it's going to turn out beautifully and will be difficult to leave alone...
Bart, yes, it did have Chitosan - I added that about 2 weeks ago. This is my first higher-end kit so I don't know how the clearing time compares to other kits. I will be patient!!! I started with 2 carboys and now am up to 5 - somebody stop me!

they are up on the web site, I have the Melbec, Torrontes ( a white wine), and Cab in stock, also posted are the Reisling/Chennin Blanc and Nebbiolo ( with grape skins) as pre orders.

I finally got around to picking up this kit today. Hopefully start it within the week. It sounds good but I'm curious to see how it holds up against my en premier and winery series kits in body and flavor.

Just added the finings and stuff to this kit. One of the steps mention oak cubes which got me thinking. My kit only came with one package of oak chips/dust. Is that correct. It kind of seems a little lite on the oak for a malbec. Am I missing some cubes??? Either way it tasted good. Not very acidic compared to some others but good flavors.

You can always add some oak cubes or spirals, if it suits your taste.

I just started mine about 2 weeks ago and is in the secondary still fermenting nice and steady. I also got oak dust and not cubes. Will have to taste in a few months to see if I should add oak spiral? I tend not to stick to the bottling schedule and let it age at least 6-9 months in the carboy, by then some more settling/clearing has occurred. After this time I bottle half (3 gallons) and continue aging the remainding wine in a 3 gallon carboy.

Latest posts

Back