LD Carlson cacao nibs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradowsk

Reaction score
I got a bag of LD Carlson cacao nibs ( https://images.app.goo.gl/Uw7ihzK3djqjCv1y9) from my LHBS. I made a tincture with about 1 cup of brandy and 1.5oz nibs, soaking for 4 days. However, it tastes nasty. Really bitter and not much chocolate flavor.

Does anyone know if these nibs are raw or roasted? I've read that making a tincture from raw nibs doesn't usually turn out well, but I can't find out whether these are raw or not.

Try eating a few raw. Might help you determine. Are they marked for freshness? Could they be old? And I have to ask, have you eaten nibs before?

Nope, never had nibs before so I wouldn't know by taste. They're not old either.

I toasted some in a dry pan for about 5min until I smelled a nice chocolatey aroma, then added them to some fresh brandy to make another tincture. Gonna taste twice a day as well to make sure I don't overextract this time.

Ok. I only ask as most people haven't snacked on them plain, and are often surprised when they do. Your idea sounds good. Hope it goes well.

Back