Lbs of bananas for 3 gal of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What yeast did you use for the banana to get 14%
Any will work, you check your hydrometer, at the alcohol ABV that you want you run up your SSG to that when it runs dry you rack age, then come bottling time you add per package instructions potassium metabisulfite, and potassium sorbate mix thoroughly then back sweeten to taste,
i use for banana K1V-1116
Dawg

Any will work, you check your hydrometer, at the alcohol ABV that you want you run up your SSG to that when it runs dry you rack age, then come bottling time you add per package instructions potassium metabisulfite, and potassium sorbate mix thoroughly then back sweeten to taste,
i use for banana K1V-1116
Dawg
Couldn’t have said it any better 👍🏻

I have used only EC-1118 so far and seems to work well. My apple and orange are above 16% with my calculations. Does the K1V-1116 have any temperature restrictions? I really struggle to keep my room at 25 degrees C. My AC is on all the time to keep that temperature, cannot really get below that, So the yeast really needs to be good for 25 to 30 in reality ..
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

George

Actually i managed to get some RC 212, (Yeast is hard to come by here) Do you think that will work well with fruit wines ?

I have used only EC-1118 so far and seems to work well. My apple and orange are above 16% with my calculations. Does the K1V-1116 have any temperature restrictions? I really struggle to keep my room at 25 degrees C. My AC is on all the time to keep that temperature, cannot really get below that, So the yeast really needs to be good for 25 to 30 in reality ..
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

George
As far as I have researched the k1v has a broad range tolerance for temps. Almost 30* if I remember correctly. It seems that the temp you ferment in does one or two things to your wine. At a higher temp you increase the alcohol faster but you lose some of the aroma, while on the other end fermentation takes longer but you can reserve more of the flavors of your fruit. I guess I comes down to preference.

As far as I have researched the k1v has a broad range tolerance for temps. Almost 30* if I remember correctly. It seems that the temp you ferment in does one or two things to your wine. At a higher temp you increase the alcohol faster but you lose some of the aroma, while on the other end fermentation takes longer but you can reserve more of the flavors of your fruit. I guess I comes down to preference.
Yes, perhaps i am getting a stronger alcohol at the cost of losing more flavour. However, i cannot do much about the temperature here. Maybe i will use 50% more fruit next time just to see if that increases the flavour. I have 5 gallons of Pineapple and 5 gallons of banana wine made with palm sugar ageing at the moment. (Banana tastes like spicy rum) I am just back from work (On the oil rigs) so can make a new batch now, banana with white sugar is next me thinks.

Thanks again for all your help mate.

just my 2 cents, i make banana, and it is a lite flavor, i tend to use great value apple juice as my liquids, i let my banana's turn at least 80% black, then freeze my banana skin and all, and i use 12 lb banana to the gallon liquid,
Dawg
We cannot buy juice here, I would have to make the juice from apples, might be away to go though. I might need to buy 10 kgs of apples and juice them.
I did blacken my bananas and i have and 30kgs in the freezer now, for my next batch, but im going to use white sugar this time. to see the difference in taste.

just my 2 cents, i make banana, and it is a lite flavor, i tend to use great value apple juice as my liquids, i let my banana's turn at least 80% black, then freeze my banana skin and all, and i use 12 lb banana to the gallon liquid,
Dawg
Do you use a strainer bag for the bananas while making your primary ?

We cannot buy juice here, I would have to make the juice from apples, might be away to go though. I might need to buy 10 kgs of apples and juice them.
I did blacken my bananas and i have and 30kgs in the freezer now, for my next batch, but im going to use white sugar this time. to see the difference in taste.
i cut up my apples freeze then throw in ferment barrel with 3 to 4 times more pectic enzyme called for, as well goldens raisins or black raisins, i got some bulk aging with cinnamon sticke\s and allspice, just something to give banana a little pep to it,
Dawg

Latest posts

Back