Lawn equipment/motor advice needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had any problems using starting fluid........

1043-intro_image-1373598918.png
I don't need starting fluid. Just sayin'. :p

If we have to wait until next spring for the garden it is what it is. In the meantime I still needed a mower. I had become the only house on the block yet to mow the lawn.
This brand new baby started up right away. No need for starter fluid, but again it’s not about ‘need’. Starter fluid is just plain fun!
But PED’s aside, this Cub Cadet is awesome. Extremely happy with the purchase. IMG_2213.jpg

Saw the spraying comments and wanted to add I had a mess if this ivy in my yard, "2,4-D" ( "two four D" if asking for it as shop) will kill it DEAD. Its a broad-leaf herbicide so watch it around trees but doesn't hurt a lot of grasses. Do not spray the soil, it's absorbed through the leaves and then kills the entire plant, great for poison ivy/oak as well. Just dampen the leaves and wait a week, it won't come back.

On the tiller. Try a little Seafoam fuel treatment added to the fuel tank. Those small engines get really screwed up with our ethanol gas. The seafoam really helped with my chainsaw last fall. Worth a try before you go the carb rebuild route. Drain all old gas first and refill with new plus seafoam follow directions on can.
Joe

A nice top layer of ivy is growing out. Another couple weeks of growth I think and I can spray it to also hopefully kill the root growth. And then till after.
Still haven’t tinkered with the tiller. I will as it gets closer to tilling time. Ripping out the top layer prematurely not a total loss tho. It’ll make the 2nd go ‘round much more manageable. IMG_2667.jpg

Kill it, wait two weeks, then till. Then give it another few weeks and kill anything else that comes up.

I was actually gonna wait another 2 weeks for the top leaves to get a little thicker- making sure the round-up got as much as it possibly can.
Then till 2wks after spraying. Think it’s good to spray now? We’ve come to terms with not having a garden this summer. And whattya think is better- Weed&grass or Poison ivy&brush killer?IMG_2694.jpg

Can't quite make out the label. What are the active ingredients in your Ivy and brush killer?

You've got John's second on the carb. I'll second on the tilling. That ivy is coming back and tilling will probably just make it more intense. I'm not sure of the best way to deal with it. I want to say use Roundup when it returns. But Roundup tends to hang around for a while and may end up in whatever veggies you're growing.

I know a guy who raises asparagus commercially. He sprays the asparagus beds with Roundup every spring before the asparagus emerges to get rid of any weeds that have sprouted. It has no effect on the asparagus when it emerges a little later.

Yeah roundup! Yeah more bee deaths! We don't need those pesky bees for grapes so kill away. We also don't need all those fruits and vegetables that the bees pollinate.

Sorry not a fan of roundup and similar stuff under any circumstance.

Latest posts

Back