Lavender Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhopkins

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Riesling kit going, and am thinking to take a stab at replicating a Colorado favorite -- Lavender from St. Kathryn Cellars. Description: "It is made with 100% Colorado Riesling and infused with locally, organically grown lavender. Visably lavender in appearance, it has a pronounced floral aroma and a crisp, well-balanced taste. Not too dry, and not too sweet–just perfect for any drinking occasion!"

I could infuse with lavender flavoring (easy enough). But I'm thinking to use some lavender blossoms from the front yard. This stuff is potent flavoring, so I don't know how much/little to use. Any suggestions welcome!

I would suggest siphoning off a gallon and infusing just this small portion. add a fixed amount and taste each day to determine your choice,then perform on remaining knowing number of days and dosage. in this manner you will not risk the entire batch.

Thanks salcoco. While I was hoping for a quantitative reply (how much for how long) I should have realized that with natural products (Lavender blossoms from my front yard!) an experimental approach such as you describe is a good way to go. Thanks!

If I can add a tad of wisdom, make sure you stir well before tasting. I was oaking a cab sauv with a spiral and after 3 days the oak was overwhelming, but after I racked it and tasted again, the oak was very faint. Similar experience with some mulling spices in a merlot. So make sure everything is homogeneous before you taste so you don't get a skewed result.

Latest posts

Back