Latest southern WI vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You said earlier you sprayed with Bonide fruit tree spray. I just installed my vineyard this year as well, and I sprayed once with that same spray and immediately noted spray damage on the leaves. Did you see any spray damage from the Bonide?

I did not notice any spray damage from the bonide spray. What did you see? Wilted leaves? Spotting on the leaves?

Spotting on the leaves, brown spots. Clearly the spray because 1) occurred immediately afterwards and 2) you could see the spray outlines on some of the leaves

Andy from NE Vine Supply is great. I’ve met him at the Wisconsin Grape Grower association meetings at the Dells. We’re just 45 miles NW off 90/94. We go to southern WI frequently to see the family. You’ll like the Marquette and will scream at the Lacrescent vines. I’ve tasted some wine made from PPearl and is was excellent. Be careful because your 75 vines might turn into 750!

The vineyard continues on. Some vines are doing better than others. I got behind in my spray program and am fighting some leaf wilt and Japanese beetles.

Petite Pearl are doing the best as a whole. Marquette just behind it and La Cresent is lagging. Most of my slower growth vines are La Crescent.

Here are some of my petite pearl (second year). I had to trim some of the growth as they were hanging down to the ground. High wire is about 5.5 ft high. 20180729_151420.jpeg20180729_151435.jpeg

Got behind on my updates. Polar vortex was brutal on the Lacresent. ~80% were knocked back to the ground.The Marquette and Petite Pearl faired better. Several couple of each were knocked back to the ground. All but one vine across the board have come back and pushed out new canes. Japanese beetles are ferocious. Sevin and imidacloprid are doing an ok at keeping them at bay. Didn't get my spray program going in the spring due to cold and lots of rain. Dealing with black rot and some mildews. Sigh. But looking like we'll get some grapes this year to play with.

Marquette20190813_145333.jpg 20190813_145338.jpg

Petite Pearl
20190813_145354.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience so far! We are planting our vineyard next spring about an hour north of Crivitz. Petite Pearl, Marquette, and Itasca...

Thanks for sharing your experience so far! We are planting our vineyard next spring about an hour north of Crivitz. Petite Pearl, Marquette, and Itasca...
Another thought on vineyard. . . . . with spraying JB this year it became obvious that there in value on spacing crops so it is possible to harvest berries after grapes have been sprayed.

Getting close on the Marquette!

Marquette 19-20 brix
Petite Pearl 16 brix

Wi_Wino,
Have you checked sugars since Tuesday? Just by the taste test, I’m still a couple weeks out from harvest at least. Up by Lacrosse.

Looking good. How cold did you get this past Winter? I remember the first Winter after planting my Marquette and Noiret we had a 3 day cold snap and got down to -20F for three solid days straight. They all came back the next Spring like "is that all you got Mother Nature"....

Have not seen anything that cold since then.

I'm not too much further south (northeast Illinois) and we got -38F ambient for a night. I had about 90% bud loss on my Vidal Blanc. The Frontenac, Petite Pearl, Itasca and Frontenac Gris all handled it with minimal damage.

Latest posts

Back