Late spring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
Im in my 3rd of year of a small vineyard of Petite Pearl, Itasca, Marquette. I live in northern illinois, and we had a late frost along with cool and damp spring. Thus far, I have a few watersprouts showing life, but nothing along the rest of my vines. Is there still hope?

Pictures will help us if you have them with regards to your specific vines.

I'm not too far from you (same weather). I'd love it if I could get just one day without rain. My vines (Frontenac, Frontenac Gris, Itasca, Petite Pearl and Concord) are all looking fine at this point. Without having a look at yours, I'd guess that they're fine and you'll just have to give them a bit and they'll be back in business.

Here are some pics. I have cut most if my vines back, but there are a few that have a few buds breaking on the cordons. Im not sure if I should give these more time, or train new vines??

Pics

Attachments

• 20190605_191744.jpg
    20190605_191744.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 37
  • 20190605_191739.jpg
    20190605_191739.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
I found this on my vines. Is this Phomopsis? I havent sprayed anything this year. Will Mancozeb take care of this, or is it too late?

Attachments

• 20190605_191813.jpg
    20190605_191813.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
I'd say since you've got buds coming out on your future cordons you're fine. You'll probably see more action as more time passes. And yes that looks like Phomopsis (or Anthracnose, I have trouble telling the difference.) You'll want to get a fungicide spray rotation going, especially with how wet it's been for us this season.

I have often wondered what would happen if I chose not to follow a spray regimen. I too do not live to far from you. If you choose to continue not spraying, could you post more pictures throughout the season, and show us the progression of these diseases?

a few that have a few buds breaking on the cordons. Im not sure if I should give these more time, or train new vines??
I vote for giving time. I find myself adjusting some vines every week as I check, , and wiping shoots off where I don’t want em. Looking at this weeks extension report I am hoping to have enough dry weather to spray fungus for the third time this year.

Latest posts

Back