Last years yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Andy

Reaction score
My grapes are soon going to be ready. I still have yeast and nutrient from last year in open packets. I just read the label on the yeast packet and it says once opened use quickly.
The Yeast is Enertis Ferm SB and the Nutrient is Enartis Nutriferm Special.

Is the yeast or nutrient likely to be ok?

Is it normal to discard the yeast at the end of each season?

I am going to mix some yeast in warm water and see if it starts working as a quick test.

* the yeast nutrient is a mix of chemical DAP and yeast hulls. The function is chemical building blocks and if dry it lasts “forever”
* I have yeast in the fridge which has been opened/ partly used on small gallon batches and have no issue using yeast from cool storage.
* I have a variety of yeast types so on occasion check and see that the code date was two years ago. I as well as the local Wine and Hops shop store yeast in the fridge so I am not concerned. If the yeast got to 130F I would toss it no matter the code date. If it was at 100F I would use the code date as a guideline and have extra yeast in the fridge in case it didn’t start.

That's what bread bakers call "proving the yeast" and that is a time honored practice going back to the earliest times when we understood that the "thing" that leavened dough did not always work so we tested the "thing". But that said, I would argue that Handy Andy could just as easily take the full load of yeast to be used for this batch of wine and prove that. At worst Handy Andy will have created a vigorous starter for pitching or he will discover that the yeast is damaged beyond repair.

I would argue that Handy Andy could just as easily take the full load of yeast to be used for this batch of wine and prove that.
If it was harvest time, I'd agree, but doing it now (before harvest) ensures he has time to order more yeast if there is a problem with the old yeast.

Latest posts

Back