Last years Elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
Okay, I'm one who will admit when he is wrong and others are right.
I made 3 batches of Elderberry last June and July and was not really happy with the way it turned out. I've been avoiding opening a bottle, thinking I would still be disappointed.
Well, last night I opened one of the bottles that was now 10 months old. It was much, much better.
You guys were right. Let it get some age on it.

i am soooooooooo dieing! again is killing me, i wanna pop corks and have drinks and i gotta keep smacking my own hand!! patience is a hard virtue!

i am soooooooooo dieing! again is killing me, i wanna pop corks and have drinks and i gotta keep smacking my own hand!! patience is a hard virtue!

OMG do you have the will power!!!!!!! When I first started I did not have any will power and I kept cracking into a bottle but I was going to local wineries and buying from them as well. Now after two years I have 180 bottles but that is no way near what other people have after two years.

OMG do you have the will power!!!!!!! When I first started I did not have any will power and I kept cracking into a bottle but I was going to local wineries and buying from them as well. Now after two years I have 180 bottles but that is no way near what other people have after two years.

Our problem also, make it, let it age slight amount of time, try it. This is why we have bought and made 3 Island Mist series kits so far, so we could let the better stuff age. My Chianti is 6 months old and unfortunately I have less than a case of 750 ml bottles left. Last count on the shelf was about 60 bottles and I have 2 cases upstairs that haven't been taken down.

Thank goodness the Chilean juices came in. That will give me close to 100 bottles to age and the California juices should be in Sept.

That is why I have 2 batchs of skeeter pee going!:D

hate to make you wait, but it's even better after 2 years. IMO, depending on how it's made, elderberry is a 2-5 year wine.

hate to make you wait, but it's even better after 2 years. IMO, depending on how it's made, elderberry is a 2-5 year wine.

I can guarantee, my batch of elderberry from the Vinter fruit base will not make 2 years. I racked it to a 3 gallon and 2 1 gallon jugs so I could free up my 5 gallon carboy for my Pinot Grigio, What I racked off is danm near clear based on the glow of the light I shined through it. It will sit another month, then be stabilized allowed to bulk age for a while after that in the containers it is currently in. I can almost guarantee I will be trying this at 4 months.

I have all but 1 of my 5 primaries full right now and the one primary that doesnt have wine in it is packed solid with malt for beer making along with one of my cabinets. Im ready to bottle a lot of wine now though so maybe during this week or next weekend surely, I fugured doing this would give me that added push! LOL

I too need more carboys but I dont have the room or the money right now... Gonna have to wait til I move into a bigger place.. Right now I am force to use a 36x20x72 inch closet for all my stuff... but in there i can fit two 5 gal and three 3 gal... But I still have to drive my bottles an hour north to my parents to age so at least I am not near it so it can age after bottling..

Who doesn't need more Carboys? I could use eight or ten of them right now, but I would have to rob a bank!
I think I have about 35 bottles of Elderberry right now that is 10 months old.
At first I had a hard time making it faster than I was drinking it, but gradually got enough carboys to get ahead.
With my strawberry and blackberry in carboys, that's really going to help. 20 gallons of strawberry and 15 of blackberry with enough for another 5 gallons in the freezer.
I've made up my mind if I'm going to drink and age it, I have to make at least 10 gallons of anything.
It also helps having a bit of hard liquor to drink and let the wine rest!

I have the carboys but my wine cellar is full and I have another 8 carboys with wine in them right now. I keep telling my wife I am going to slow down and catch up and then something else comes along we want to start. I have a Washington Valley Riesling in the primary right now and when that is racked I'll probably start another Skeeter Pee only because Julie says you can't make it fast enough. I have 6.5 gallons of it going right now that should be ready in another four weeks.

Back