Last grapes of the year...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just keep checking the gravity, as long as it keeps moving it should be ok. I haven't used Avante, but based on what others are reporting, it should finish the job. Transitioning to another yeast is difficult at high alcohol, you have to go through the steps to aclimate the yeast slowly. I wouldn't bother unless it is absolutely necessary, even then, I'd probably first just try to get a 5gal pail started by tossing in some light lees from something that was just pressed and finished strong, if that gets going then pitch it into the whole batch. Obviously you can move ahead with the full restart procedure if that fails. Hopefully you won't need any of this screwing around.

Gravity update:

Petite Sirah: 1.001 (1 click overnight)
Cab Sauv: 1.008 (3 clicks overnight)

Maybe tonight. However, this is my busiest day at work and I won't get home until 6pm. I'd prefer Wednesday...cap still resident but getting less organized.

Last edited:
At some point soon you may want to run a chromatogram just to see the status and get a baseline. If the ML completes before the AF finishes, lysozyme can be used to stop ML activity if necessary, this allows you to hold off on SO2 until the AF completes. Hopefully this won't be an issue, I'm just trying to keep you one step ahead.

At some point soon you may want to run a chromatogram just to see the status and get a baseline. If the ML completes before the AF finishes, lysozyme can be used to stop ML activity if necessary, this allows you to hold off on SO2 until the AF completes. Hopefully this won't be an issue, I'm just trying to keep you one step ahead.
Very helpful!!!

Gravity update:

Petite Sirah: 1.003 (1 click overnight)
Cab Sauv: 1.008 (3 clicks overnight)

Maybe tonight. However, this is my busiest day at work and I won't get home until 6pm. I'd prefer Wednesday...cap still resident but getting less organized.
You shouldn't have any trouble waiting as many days as you need to for convenience, waiting to press until it's dry if you like, at the rate it's going, tomorrow shouldn't be an issue..........

I pressed the Petite Sirah tonight. Gravity is at 1.001. I was able to get the following quantities:

1. Free run: 23 gallons
2. Press run (1 bar or less): 3 gallons
3. Press run (3 bar): 1 gallon

I’m really enjoying using the hydro press. I can control the pressure which helps me keep even the pressed wine lightly pressed. Once I put on the full pressure, not much comes out.

Last edited:
Did the valve split? You really dodged a bullet on that one, it could have been much worse.

Did the valve split? You really dodged a bullet on that one, it could have been much worse.
I looks to me like where the threaded fermentor threads into the valve cracked - or at least got bent somehow. I only had enough time this morning to transfer. I'll explore more when I get home from work. It dripped all night long and I have a mess to clean up too... Major crisis averted!

I looks to me like where the threaded fermentor threads into the valve cracked - or at least got bent somehow. I only had enough time this morning to transfer. I'll explore more when I get home from work. It dripped all night long and I have a mess to clean up too... Major crisis averted!
Don’t hesitate to hit us with the cab & PV SG updates too!. Curious how it goes since I’m following along with my own high brix cab that’s been fermenting over 2 weeks and trying to cross the finish line ever so slowly. 2 days went from 1.006 to 1.000. Fingers crossed for all 3 🤞

@crushday send some photos to FastFerment, with several units you're considered a very good customer, so they shouldn't have a problem with replacing the tank. Also take a close look at your other units to see if there is anything going on that might be common.

Last edited:
I pressed the Petite Sirah tonight. Gravity is at 1.001. I was able to get the following quantities:

1. Free run: 23 gallons
2. Press run (1 bar or less): 3 gallons
3. Press run (3 bar): 1 gallon

I’m really enjoying using the hydro press. I can control the pressure which helps me keep even the pressed wine lightly pressed. Once I put on the full pressure, not much comes out.

Question for you, when you say 1 bar is that what it was holding or what pressed out once you reached 1 bar?

Also just for a reference I just pressed my Norton and got a pretty even amount of free run and press. I also pressed at 3 bar but that's quite a difference in the percentages.

What @Johnd @CDrew you think @crushday would cross-thread and leave it like that? I'm thinking maybe a defective thin area around the tank bottom, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, yes, what, no?;)
LOL!! I think it’s possible, I do all sorts of stupid crap when I’m in the heat of wine battle. Cross threading would be easy for me......

Just got home. I had to spend the day at our Bellevue office. At the wrong time day, that 60 miles can be three hours...

Although it's dark, I inspected the fermentor. As @stickman intuitively noticed, it's a weak area in the plastic conical near the threads. Before first use, over two years ago, I threaded the unit into the valve with teflon tape. There's a crack. Not sure how that happened as I didn't drop it or bang it into something. This has happened one other time but on a smaller (7.9g) unit. But, I'm glad I didn't loose $1000 worth of wine over it.

I plan on getting a new unit either by replacement or simple purchase. They work great for how I use them.

@Ajmassa - I didn't have time this morning to take a gravity reading. What little time I had this morning got hijacked by the transfer. Tomorrow...

Question for you, when you say 1 bar is that what it was holding or what pressed out once you reached 1 bar?

Also just for a reference I just pressed my Norton and got a pretty even amount of free run and press. I also pressed at 3 bar but that's quite a difference in the percentages.
Great question. I held it at 1 bar or below, getting to one bar for a second and then easing back, for over 20 minutes and let the wine drain. Only after some elapsed time did I open it fully and go to 3 bars. It takes a little longer but I feel like I'm getting a gentle press.

Latest posts

Back