Last grapes of the year...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's clear that the Petite Sirah has a high gravity and high acid rate. To get the Brix to 25, requires 5.18 gallons of water. This will also raise the pH, right? - which is too low right now. However, the pH might come up from maceration and likely raise a few more clicks during malolactic fermentation, which I intend to co-innoculate (CH16).

Brix: 28.3, pH: 3.27, TA: 8.49

Other than add water, what else would you do?

It's clear that the Petite Sirah has a high gravity and high acid rate. To get the Brix to 25, requires 5.18 gallons of water. This will also raise the pH, right? - which is too low right now. However, the pH might come up from maceration and likely raise a few more clicks during malolactic fermentation, which I intend to co-innoculate (CH16).

Brix: 28.3, pH: 3.27, TA: 8.49

Other than add water, what else would you do?
Personally, I'd just do the water, but only enough to drop it to 26.5 or 27, PS is a big wine that can handle the alcohol. See where your pH ends up after the addition, if it's 3.3 or higher, let it ride, co inoculate and roll to the end. You'll lose some acid during AF and MLF, the pH will come up for you. It's a bit of a blessing to have some acid in such a high BRIX wine, it'll help it last long enough to get good.

Personally, I'd just do the water, but only enough to drop it to 26.5 or 27, PS is a big wine that can handle the alcohol. See where your pH ends up after the addition, if it's 3.3 or higher, let it ride, co inoculate and roll to the end. You'll lose some acid during AF and MLF, the pH will come up for you. It's a bit of a blessing to have some acid in such a high BRIX wine, it'll help it last long enough to get good.
Very good suggestion and one I will likely follow until conditions dictate otherwise. Thanks John!

Wow, that must be at least $3k worth of grapes, hope you have found a way to monetize the hobby to recoup some of the costs....
Not including glass, corks or labels I’ll be able to make this wine for $6.62 a bottle as long as I can get average yield. This is high quality wine for a fraction of the commercial cost.

I plan on giving most of this away. Being generous is a very high value. It guides almost every decision I make. That’s really meaningful for me and Mrs. Crushday...

That's very cool. You've had quite a year.

I agree that Winegrapesdirect is a good outfit. They are shipping my white wine grapes this Wednesday. Very good communication. Assuming next year is similar to this one, I may make a Portland Road Trip and get more white wine grapes. I hate paying shipping and I'd much rather get a road trip out of it!

I’m planning on co-inoculating CH16 tomorrow - I have Acti-ML. Right now I’m inclined to add the malolactic nutrient after I press but need some direction. I’ve added the following adjuncts to each ferment: EX-V, Opti-Red, Yeast/GoFerm, Tannin FT Rouge, 130gm TA (Cabernet Sauv only). I’m hesitant to add anymore to this wine right now...

Any direction? This will be the first time I’ve added a malo nutrient. All my previous lactic conversions finished without fail.

Last edited:
I’m planning on co-inoculating CH16 tomorrow - I have Acti-ML. Right now I’m inclined to add the malolactic nutrient after I press but need some direction. I’ve added the following adjuncts to each ferment: EX-V, Opti-Red, Yeast/GoFerm, Tannin FT Rouge, 130gm TA (Cabernet Sauv only). I’m hesitant to add anymore to this wine right now...

Any direction? This will be the first time I’ve added a malo nutrient. All my previous lactic conversions finished without fail.

with a co-inoculation it’s def the safest route to take to utilize the opti malo. Acti is specifically for activating the bacteria. The opti will make sure the yeast and malo aren’t competing for nutrients Can you skip it and have no issue? Sure. but adding it can only help while omitting it increases the risk of negative effects.
Important that both the ml and yeast are properly fed their respective nutrients so nothing is stressed they say. Majority of the ML work is being done during the ferment with co-inocculations so waiting till after press doesn’t benefit that yeast/ml food competition. I’ll sometimes skip the post gross lees 1/2 shot of opti malo. But always add the initial one soon after inoculation.

with a co-inoculation it’s def the safest route to take to utilize the opti malo. Acti is specifically for activating the bacteria. The opti will make sure the yeast and malo aren’t competing for nutrients Can you skip it and have no issue? Sure. but adding it can only help while omitting it increases the risk of negative effects.
Important that both the ml and yeast are properly fed their respective nutrients so nothing is stressed they say. Majority of the ML work is being done during the ferment with co-inocculations so waiting till after press doesn’t benefit that yeast/ml food competition. I’ll sometimes skip the post gross lees 1/2 shot of opti malo. But always add the initial one soon after inoculation.
Great advice. I’ll chase the Ch16 with the Acti-ML at the next punch.

@Ajmassa - What I ordered from LodiWineLabs is this: Acti-ML.

Here’s the description from their website:

Acti-ML® is a bacteria nutrient used during rehydration of the direct addition and standard malolactic bacteria strains. It was developed by the Lallemand bacteria R&D team led by Dr. Sibylle Krieger-Weber. Acti-ML is a specific blend of inactive yeasts rich in amino acids, mineral cofactors and vitamins. These inactive yeasts are mixed with cellulose to provide more surface area to help keep bacteria in suspension. Acti-ML can help strengthen the development of bacteria growth under difficult conditions.

@Ajmassa - What I ordered from LodiWineLabs is this: Acti-ML.

Here’s the description from their website:

Acti-ML® is a bacteria nutrient used during rehydration of the direct addition and standard malolactic bacteria strains. It was developed by the Lallemand bacteria R&D team led by Dr. Sibylle Krieger-Weber. Acti-ML is a specific blend of inactive yeasts rich in amino acids, mineral cofactors and vitamins. These inactive yeasts are mixed with cellulose to provide more surface area to help keep bacteria in suspension. Acti-ML can help strengthen the development of bacteria growth under difficult conditions.
Previous posts I mistakenly thought your reference of ‘mlf nutrients’ was separate from your mention of acti ml since that’s how I view it. Acti-ML as an activator. Opti-malo as the nutrient. 2 different things. Technically acti is a ‘nutrient’ but specifically for hydrating the bacteria before inoculating into the wine.

you don’t necessarily need one or the other But should at least be aware of the distinction. ActiML & OptiMalo for ml bacteria can be compared to GoFerm & FermaidK for wine yeast.

I have a potential dilemma. The Carignan wine is likely dry - done early. The Zinfandel is close as is the Pinot Noir. The others, Petit Verdot, Cab and Petite Sirah are not even close.

Here’s the dilemma. I don’t really want to press twice. Is there a way to delay the Carignan up to 3-4 days by covering it with plastic cling wrap? The others too?

What does experience say?

Not experience, but common sense. It's Sunday and time to press! In all seriousness, you dont know when the rest will be done, so I'd do now what you can do now.

I got up at 0430 for wine making chores before I go to work!

Latest posts

Back