Largest Fruit Wine Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DUH !!!
You make MORE WINE !
Plenty of fruit available now (frozen)

I do plan to start some raisin wine this week. The beets are not ready yet and I have to keep space available for the figs . . . well, not anymore. I think I have that covered.

One of the carboys has a label for peach wine and a date of 1983. There is also a price list from a wine supply shop from 1984. I'll have more time to look through things tomorrow evening after I bottle the pumpkin wine.

e-wine

the largest batch I've done is 15 gallons, but I did about 4 x 6 gallon carboys at the same time. Using different yeasts etc mixing it up, was a hell of a time peeling the feijoas!

Would definately do it again, :d

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask and I want to direct this first part to the amateur wine makers.

What is the largest batch of Fruit Wine you've ever attempted?

What kind was it and was it from fresh fruit?

Would you try it again?

Would you try a bigger batch if you had the room?

Finally, and this is for everybody, how many belong to a local wine making club?

Thank you.

e-wine

Largest batch was 20 gallons. It was a blend of 75% red grapes and 25% white. Don't know the species yet. This is the only grape I do. Most of my wine is fruit or honey. Like some others here I use a steamer/juicer, which is a great way to get juice from the fruit, then freeze it til I'm ready to ferment.

Would I do it again? You bet. I am working on going commercial so I have been working up to 50 gallon batches.

There are several beer/wine clubs near me I frequent, but they cater more to the beer makers so I don't go all the time or hang out at their events.

Am in the process of constructing a fruit press, definately want to avoid peeling/squeezing/chopping as much as I can in the future..

Wow 50 Gal would be awesome! what type of carboy would hold that amount?

Wow 50 Gal would be awesome! what type of carboy would hold that amount?

Either ten 5 gallon carboys (my cold room is set up to hold 86) or a 50 gallon stainless steel tank, which is a lot cheaper than oak. I don't oak most of my wine, but if I do I can always just use oak cubes or staves.

Either ten 5 gallon carboys (my cold room is set up to hold 86) or a 50 gallon stainless steel tank, which is a lot cheaper than oak. I don't oak most of my wine, but if I do I can always just use oak cubes or staves.

not a fan of oaking myself. lightly can be good, but many wineries around here do heavy oaking. if i wanted to taste oak, i would buy firewood or something. lol

will be doing up to 300 gal, hopefully soon :sn

not a fan of oaking myself. lightly can be good, but many wineries around here do heavy oaking. if i wanted to taste oak, i would buy firewood or something. lol

will be doing up to 300 gal, hopefully soon :sn

I agree on the oak. Great for a Cab Sav. I put some in my Elderberry Port and it is coming out great, but nothing else. Good luck on the 300 gallons. Someday I'll be there.

I agree on the oak. Great for a Cab Sav. I put some in my Elderberry Port and it is coming out great, but nothing else. Good luck on the 300 gallons. Someday I'll be there.

elderberry port? sounds gooooooddd.

we are still awating some paperwork and still have a few hurdles to get there.

I like the idea of 10 five gallon carboys when it come to racking and to bottling. You can see through the carboys better when racking and you don't have 250 bottle to do at one time. If you have the help though, why not do it all at once.

I got my largest batch up to 6.5 gallon and I'm waiting for the figs to come into season. I have reviewed what I did with them last year and I believe I've identified some areas for improvement. I also have the fig/banana Maderia I want to try.

e-wine

elderberry port? sounds gooooooddd.

we are still awating some paperwork and still have a few hurdles to get there.

I am with you. The State Liquor Board and ATF will be easy. It's the City of Lakewood I am having the difficulty with. I won't be in the 300 gallon batch range until I outgrow the basement winery.

e-wine, I really like carboys because I can watch the contents. Some of my wines are so dark I have to use a maglight to shine through and see how clear it is. It also breaks up a batch into bite sizes pieces for those times I can't get help bottling.

Latest posts

Back